Note: This Xero Integration article is for Australian customers and includes both Payroll and Invoicing setup instructions. If you are a customer in the US or another country, go to How to Integrate QuickBooks Time and Xero in the US and Other Countries.
Before you begin
- You can only connect one QuickBooks Time account to one organisation.
- If you have not already, in Xero, add employees, customers, contacts, and inventory items.
- If Customers were manually added in QuickBooks Time before integrating, make sure the Customer name matches exactly between the systems before your first import.
- If Employees were manually added in QuickBooks Time before integrating, make sure their First name, Last name, and email if applicable match exactly between the systems before your first import.
- If you will be exporting hours worked to Xero to be included in payroll, before installing the Xero Integration in QuickBooks Time, make sure you have set up payroll in Xero.
- If employees may be paid time and a half or double time, in Xero, set up those pay items, and assign them to the employees pay templates. Then, in QuickBooks Time, enable overtime tracking (Company Settings > Payroll & Overtime > Overtime).
- If you use the Pay Rate Engine for more advanced overtime options, you will need to map any overtime payroll items within the Pay Rate Engine settings (See below for instructions)
Set up the integration
- In QuickBooks Time, go to Feature Add-ons > Manage Add-ons.
- Scroll down to Xero and select Install.
- In the Xero Integration Preferences window, choose your country.
- If you are planning to run payroll, make sure that Do you have Payroll enabled in Xero? is selected.
- Select Connect to Xero.
- In the Authorise Application window, select your organisation, and Allow Access.
- In the Connect window, select Next.
- In the Import Options window, make your selections:
- Archive: Selecting any of the archive options removes non-matching employees, customers, and/or inventory items from QuickBooks Time. If this was selected by accident, they can be retrieved by contacting QuickBooks Time Support.
- Import customer from Xero: Select this to import your customer list for employees to track time against. Contacts that also need to be added as Customers can be imported via preferences later (see below for steps). Note: If available, the customer's address will also sync into QuickBooks Time for the Nearby Jobs functionality.
- Assign all imported customers to all employees: Selecting this allows employees to see the full customer list. You can uncheck this and manually assign specific customers to specific employees later, if desired.
- Import inventory items from Xero: Selecting this will allow employees to select from these items on their timesheets. These items then appear on invoices and QuickBooks Time reports. All inventory items will import into QuickBooks Time except those marked as "I track this item" in Xero.
- Require employees to select an inventory item: When employees clock in or switch customers, they will be required to select an inventory item on that timesheet.
- Select Start Import.
- If you have set up a category in Xero labelled Timesheet Categories, that list will automatically import as a required, selectable list on employee timesheets.
- Select Assign Rates if you are prompted to assign overtime rates. See below for more help.
Add Xero contacts as customers in QuickBooks Time
Customers (contacts that have been invoiced) are automatically added during import, but contacts must be added this way:
- In QuickBooks Time, select Xero > Preferences > Manage Xero Customers.
- Find and select the Xero contacts you want imported in as QuickBooks Time customers.
- Select Add Customers.
Add Xero contractors or suppliers in QuickBooks Time
Only employees are imported into QuickBooks Time from Xero. However, if you have contractors/suppliers that need to track their time against customers for your invoices, you can manually add them in QuickBooks Time:
- Go to My Team > Add.
- You will get a notice that this user that you add will not show up in Xero. Select Add only in QuickBooks Time.
The new user (contractor/supplier) will track their time as normal. Their timesheets will appear on invoices for the associated customers.
Overtime pay item mapping
Pay Items will be automatically mapped to the appropriate time types (Regular, Overtime, etc.). If you use more advanced overtime calculations, you will need to map the correct Pay Items to each Overtime Rule.
- Go to Feature Add-ons > Pay Rate Engine.
- Any Setting that has unmapped rules, and any rule that is unmapped, is indicated by .
- Select on a rule to map it. Any Overtime pay item from Xero will appear in a dropdown next to XERO PAY ITEM.
Import employees, customers, contacts, and inventory items
If you added, edited, or deleted an employee, customer/contact, or inventory item in Xero, make sure you update it in QuickBooks Time: select Xero > Import.