Learn how to transfer the Master Administrator role for your firm.
What you need to know before getting started
- To transfer the Master Administrator role, you must be logged into QuickBooks Online Accountant as the Master Administrator.
- The Master Administrator role can only be transferred to users with Full access. To edit a user's access, check out Manage users or firm employees in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- Non-Lead Accountants won't see the option to transfer the Master Administrator role. The Lead Accountant is the only one who can transfer the Master Administrator role.
- The payment method for Wholesale Billing doesn't change when changing the Master Administrator. This must be done manually.
How to transfer the role of Master Administrator
To transfer the role of Master Administrator, follow these steps:
- From the left menu, select Team under Your Practice.
- Select the user that reads Master Admin in the Access column.
- In the Edit user screen, select the Firm Administration and Books tab.
- Select Transfer Master Admin.
- From the user selection drop-down, select the user to which you wish to transfer the Master Administrator role.
- Select Send invitation. (Note: This will send an email invitation to the desired user to accept. Once accepted, the role of Master Administrator will be transferred. This will leave the original user with a Full Access role.)
How to transfer the role of Master Administrator to your client
If your client works with QuickBooks Online most of the time, you may want to transfer Master Administrator rights to them. To transfer the role of Master Administrator to your client, proceed with the following steps:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Manage Users. If you don’t see this option, make sure you sign in with your master admin account.
- In the User Type column, check if the client is listed as Admin. If they’re not, select Edit to change them to an admin.
- Select the small arrow ▼ in the Action column to the right of the user. Then, select Make master admin.
- In the window, select Make master admin to confirm that you want to make the change.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Sign Out to sign out as the current master admin.
- When the user gets the invitation email, ask them to select the link and accept the invitation.
You’re all set. The user is now the master admin for your QuickBooks account.