In this article, you will learn more about your subscription rates and charges.
Subscription rates and charges
If you have a question regarding a subscription charge from Intuit or QuickBooks Online, start by reviewing detailed information on your subscription rates in QuickBooks Online:
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Account and Settings.
- Select Billing Subscription.
The description on your bank/credit card statement can also help identify where a charge is originating from.
Frequently asked questions
Here are answers to some questions you may have about your subscription rates and charges.
Possible reasons include:
- You are currently using Payroll.
- Sales tax is added to the base subscription price.
- You had promotional discounts that have expired, so you are now being billed the regular price for your subscription.
- You recently upgraded from EasyStart/EasyStart to Essentials, or from Essentials to Plus.
Possible reasons include:
- You turned on Payroll mid-billing cycle.
- You upgraded from EasyStart/EasyStart to Essentials, or from Essentials to Plus mid-billing cycle.
- You have multiple companies, which means you will be billed for each one.
- You forgot to cancel a subscription (cancellation has to be done manually by the master admin user).
- You saw a second charge related to the pre-authorization process for credit card payments:
- If you are checking your credit card account online, please be aware that QuickBooks submits a pre-authorization before processing your subscription payment. This pre-authorization allows us to verify that the credit card on file is valid and that there is enough available credit to process the charge. Typically the pre-authorization is removed within five days.
- If your payment was very recent, you may still see the pre-authorization on your account. Intuit's pre-authorizations can be up to $0.50 more than the actual charge, so if the amount is not what you thought you were being charged for your subscription, this could be why. Additionally, since the pre-authorization is temporary, you may see the charge online, but will not see this on your credit card statement.
- If you have any questions, you can verify the pre-authorization by calling your credit card company.
Currently, there is some confusion about monthly charges that are titled, QuickBooks Monthly Fee. This fee is not coming from QuickBooks Online. It is charged by some banks if you use the Online Banking feature within QuickBooks Desktop. If the descriptor says Intuit, Inc QB Online and a 1-800 number, then the charge is from QuickBooks Online.