Learn how to set up folder permissions in QuickBooks Desktop.
When sharing a folder, you give permission and set the accessibility level of users on the network to view, access, and modify files in the folder.
See Set up a multi-user network for instructions on how to set up multi-user networking for a variety of operating systems.
Share an existing folder
- Locate and right-click the folder you want to share. Then select Properties.
- On the Sharing tab, select Share this folder. You can change the name of the shared folder by entering a new name in the Share Name field.
- Go to the Security tab or select Permissions to set permissions for each user who will access your folder.
- Select Apply and OK.
Create a new shared folder
Here's how to create a new shared folder using the Create A Shared Folder Wizard.
- On your keyboard, press Windows + R to open the Run window.
- Enter "shrpubw.exe" in the Open field, and select OK.
- Follow the instructions on the wizard to share your folder.
Stop sharing a folder
- Locate the folder you want to stop sharing. From here, you can do any of the following:
- Right-click the folder, select Give access to, then Remove Access.
- Select the folder, then the Share tab at the top of File Explorer. Then in the Share with section, select Remove access.
- Close the File Explorer.