Learn how to add transactions directly to an account register.
In Quickbooks, you can add transactions while you're working in your account register. This saves time if you're already reviewing your accounts and need to make a quick addition.
Step 1: Open an account register
Start by opening your account register:
- Go to the Accounting menu and select Chart of Accounts.
- Find the account register you want to review. If you're new to QuickBooks, select See your Chart of Accounts first.
- When you find the account register, select Account history from the Actions column.
Step 2: Add a transaction to a register
Quickbooks makes it easy to quickly add transactions from within the register:
- From the Add transaction ▼ drop-down menu, select the transaction type you want to add.
- Fill in the necessary fields and complete the form.
- When you're ready, select Save.
Tip: Most of the time, you should start a new sales form. Adding transactions from an account register doesn't give you as much flexibility.
Next Steps: Edit a transaction in a register
If you need to, here's how to find or edit specific transactions in an account register.