Learn about how to request a direct deposit reversal, which returns funds to your account.
With payroll, you can request a direct deposit reversal 5 business days from the pay date.
Note that there’s a $75 charge with a reversal request, even if you don’t get the money back.
What to know before requesting a reversal
Reversal requests are not a guarantee that the funds will be recovered.
The reversal transaction takes 5 business days to process from the request date.
Stopping payment won't prevent the payroll from being deposited to the employee or contractor bank account. It could result in a Non-Sufficient Funds with Intuit.
It's recommended that you have an updated Direct Deposit Authorization form from all your current employees and contractors
You will need to notify the employee or contractor of the reversal request.
When you can request a reversal
You can only request a reversal in these cases:
- The total amount(s) must be greater than $50 (due to the $75
direct deposit reversal fee).
- You can make a request between the 3rd and 5th day after the pay date. This is to ensure that the original pay cheque wasn’t rejected. If it's rejected, there's no need for a reversal.
- The bank account you want to reverse funds from must still be in the employee's profile.
- The reason for the reversal is in compliance with ACH or EFT laws. For example: duplicate payments or unintended payments.
How to make a request to reverse a payroll direct deposit
You can make a request between the 3rd and 5th day after the pay date. To start the request:
- Open the Direct Deposit Reversal form.
- Select New Request.
- Complete the required information and transaction information.
- Select Save.
- Once the reversal is approved (see the next section for details), you can void the pay cheque in your payroll records.
What happens next
Your request will be reviewed, and you’ll be notified if it’s rejected or accepted.
If something is missing, your request will be sent back to you by email with a list of corrections needed. Once you save the changes, we'll review the request again. An agent may contact you to assist you in more complex situations.
When your request is accepted, you'll get an email letting you know about processing time and next steps. Reversal can take up to 9 days.
Once funds are returned from an employee or contractor bank account, the funds will be credited to your bank account. No current balance can be due on your payroll account. The process takes up to 14 days.
If the reversal is successful, or the employee or contractor arranges to give the net amount back, remember to void the pay cheque, which will complete the reversal.
Disputes and unsuccessful reversals
If the direct deposit reversal is not successful, you can't void the pay cheque. Since the employee or contractor received the net pay, the gross wages are valid. The only way to get the money back is to work with the employee or contractor directly.
If the entire amount of the direct deposit isn't available in the employee or contractor bank account, the reversal will be rejected, and no funds will be recovered.
An employee or contractor can dispute the reversal for up to 60 days. If a reversal is disputed and funds have been returned, Intuit reserves the right to debit your company bank account for the disputed amount.