If you are switching from a local install of ProFile to a work station install, undertake a clean install (article) first on each workstation.
What to Know
For a workstation installation, a network must already be configured and connecting the server to all the workstations. This allows for one central computer (typically a server) to maintain the software and distribute updates to the workstations.
Note that while the update is in progress on the server, the workstations should not be running ProFile until the process is concluded.
Workstations installations will not have the option to install updates; updates can only be performed on the server.
Install ProFile on the Server
ProFile must be locally installed on the server (the C: drive is the preferred directory).
Review the "Downloading, installing, and activating ProFile" article for instructions on installing ProFile.
Switch ProFile from a Local installation to a Workstation installation
Undertake a clean uninstall ProFile from the computer.
Review the "Performing a clean uninstall of ProFile" article for instructions on undertaking a clean uninstall of ProFile.
Map Drive on the Workstation
1. Open a Windows Explorer window.
2. Click on the computer name; this may be displayed as a name/number, or as the term "Computer".
3. Select the "Map Network Drive" option:
The "Map Network Drive" window displays.
4. Select a letter in the "Drive" drop-down menu.
5. Enter the address of the server; either by IP address (e.g. \192.168.0.0) or server name (\my-server):
6. Click the "Finish" button; the drive is mapped.
1. Navigate to the folder where ProFile was installed.
2. Identify the file "Workstation Install" executable file title Workstation Install.exe:
3. Right-click on the "Workstation Install" file and select the "Run as Administrator" option from the menu.
The ProFile installation wizard displays.
4. Follow the prompts in the installation wizard to install ProFile.
A "ProFile Workstation" icon displays on the desktop when complete:
1. Right-click on the desktop "ProFile Workstation" icon from the server and the workstation.
2. Select the "Properties" option from the menu.
3. Confirm that "profile.exe" is the target in the "Target" field; note the different paths for local and workstation installations:
Repair a ProFile Workstation Installation
1. Right-click on the "ProFile Workstation" icon on the desktop:
2. Select the "Delete" option from the menu; the program deletes.
3. Reboot the workstation.
4. Navigate to the ProFile installation folder.
5. Identify the file "Workstation Install".
6. Double-click the "Workstation Install" file; the installation wizard displays.
7. Follow the prompts in the installation wizard to install ProFile.
Get in touch with other Accountants
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook