Getting EFILE error: "Unexpected Error" when trying to EFILE or transmit a return
When attempting to EFILE, NetFile or transmit a return, the EFILE window says "Unexpected error".
This can occur due to software updates. Updates for windows, anti-virus or security software. It may also be a permissions issue in the firewall.
To resolve this issue, check the Windows Firewall, the anti-virus and other security software. Also check the system date in the machine. If the system date falls behind the CRA EFILE start date this error message will appear.
Adding Permissions in Windows Firewall
- Go to Start > Control Panel:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Select System and Security
- Select Windows Firewall > Allow a program through Windows Firewall
- Look for ProFile on the list. If it is missing, select Change Setting, then Allow another program?
- Select Browse, then browse to "C:Program Files (x86)ProFileProFile.exe"
- Repeat this step for ProFile Update.
Adding permissions in an anti-virus:
- Open the anti-virus software
- Look for the option to create an application exception (in most cases, this option is located under Settings)
- Under this setting menu, add the ProFile application folder, or the ProFile.exe and ProFile Update.exe files.
Settings changed with Windows update
At times, some settings can change with a Windows update. One such case is with the internet options.
Check the Internet Options: