Start scheduled payroll, check employees, open paycheque details, enter hours, take option to save. Everything is good. Press continue button to review and create pay cheques. Application freezes every time. Have tried doing same task in sample company with same result
Here is a "final solution"
for this problem which reoccurs at random intervals. It was executed
on my computer twice by QB support remotely and again by myself alone.
1) Close your company file
2) Choose to create a new "dummy" company. Give it any name you like.
3) Create it with the bare minium of required information; I chose to define it as a retail company in Ontario
4) Once the new company file is open go right to the Payroll Centre.
5) Create a new employee with any name, a reasonable birthdate (say 1/1/1984) and a salary of any reasonable amount. Again the bare minimum of information is all that is needed.
6) Set up a biweekly pay schedule with current dates for pay cycle and cheque dates and add the employee to it.
7) Go to the Pay Employees tab in the Payroll Centre. Press "Start Scheduled Payroll" and follow the usual steps for creating a paycheque.
8) The program should not freeze (as it has been doing) at the point you press "Continue" to create cheques.
9) Once the cheque is created you can close the dummy company.
This procedure, strangely enough, clears whatever is blocking the payroll function in your own operating company (or companies). I cannot fathom why, but it does work.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, dedwards.
Let's get your payroll working and get you back to business.
There are several possible reasons for the freezing behavior of QuickBooks Desktop. Some of these are:
I got here solutions to get this resolved. Let's start with using the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. This can help fix program-related issues.
To do that:
For more details and troubleshooting steps, please refer to this article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1460106.
After performing these steps, you can try to run your payroll again.
If the issue persists, I would suggest contacting our QuickBooks Technical Support Team so they can take a closer look. They have the necessary tools needed, such as screen sharing, to help you fix this issue and get you back on track.
By following these steps, I'm confident that the QuickBooks payroll features will be up and running in no time.
Please don't hesitate to leave a comment if you need further assistance. I'm just a post away.
It's important for you to always have access to your file. I know freezing behaviour can really increase the amount of time required to manage your books, and we always want to improve the ease and efficiency of your bookkeeping. There are several possible reasons for the freezing and performance issues in QuickBooks Desktop. Thankfully, these are all fairly simple to resolve, and I'm here to guide you through it:
Note: If you're using QuickBooks Online, check out this article: How do I clear my browser cache and temporary Internet files?
For more details and troubleshooting steps, please refer to this article: What to do if you can't open QuickBooks Desktop
After performing these steps, you should be able to use your payroll module without any problems. If the issue persists, I would suggest contacting our QuickBooks Technical Support Team so they can take a closer look. Here's how to get in touch:
Don't hesitate to reach out! I'm here for you to help get this up and running smoothly again.