Haven’t migrated yet? Review our article on Converting Acomba data to QuickBooks Online.
Although we try to make the data conversion as comprehensive as possible, there are still a few tasks you'll need to perform before you start using QuickBooks Online. It's best to complete these as soon as possible before you make any changes to the data or enter new transactions.
Enter your Company Information and Fiscal Start Month
Step 1: Enter company information:
- Select the Gear icon, then choose Account and Settings.
- On the Company tab, enter your company and contact information.
- Update or verify the email addresses to ensure billing communications and customer communications are handled correctly.
- Enter the email address in the Company email box where you would like to receive the monthly invoices from Intuit for your QuickBooks Online subscription.
- If you do not want to use the Company email address for your customers to contact you, enter the email address in the Customer-facing email box that you want your customers to associate with your business.
- Select Save.
Step 2: Set fiscal start month:
- Select the Advanced Tab.
- In the Accounting section in the dropdown menu to the right of First month of fiscal year, select the first month of your fiscal year.
- Select Save in that section, then select Done at the bottom right.
Check your data by comparing reports
We suggest you compare the below reports in QuickBooks Online and in Acomba to ensure that your data was transferred correctly. To verify your reports, run the reports by This Fiscal Year or This Year in QuickBooks Online:
- Balance Sheet Report - select This Fiscal Year or This Year
- Trial Balance – select This Fiscal Year or This Year
- A/R Aging Summary - select This Fiscal Year or This Year
- A/P Aging Summary - select This Fiscal Year or This Year
- Profit and Loss - select This Fiscal Year or This Year
Turn on Sales Tax
It’s important that Sales Tax be turned on in QuickBooks Online set up with the correct CRA business number and filing frequency before you start using it. You can skip these steps if your business isn’t registered for sales tax:
- In QuickBooks Online, go to Taxes and select Sales tax (Take me there).
- Follow the prompts to turn on the Sales Tax for your province.
Note: Select your home province correctly, as this cannot be corrected after the fact.
- Enter your CRA Business number and Filing frequency.
Note: Ensure your Accounting method is set to Accrual unless your accountant has told you otherwise.
Consolidate Sales Tax into the default QuickBooks Online Sales Tax Account
Acomba Canada uses two accounts (four in Québec) to track sales tax and post-migration steps to consolidate sales tax into the single GST/HST payable account in QuickBooks are required. Reconcile discrepancies to your accounts receivable (customers) and accounts payable (suppliers) that may exist after the conversion.
Reconcile your Bank Accounts and Credit Card Accounts
Note: It is critical that you complete this step before connecting your bank and/or credit card accounts to online banking. Since you have not yet performed a bank reconciliation in QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Online assumes that no bank transactions have been reconciled. You need QuickBooks Online to mark all transactions up to the conversion date as reconciled, so that it only considers future transactions for reconciliation:
- Select the Gear icon, then select Reconcile.
- Choose the relevant bank account from the dropdown, then select Reconcile Now.
- A Start Reconciling box opens. Enter your last reconciliation date in Statement ending date and put cleared Balance as it was on your last reconciliation in the Ending Balance field.
- Leave the rest of the form blank and select OK.
- You will see a list of transactions. Select the top checkmark boxes to select all transactions in the list. If the data is in two columns, make sure you’ve selected all transactions in both columns. Then find and uncheck transactions that are still unclear. When the difference is zero that means you have completed these steps successfully.
- Select Finish Now.
- It is important to repeat this process for all bank and credit card accounts in QuickBooks Online.