Learn how to merge accounts, customers, vendors, and more in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
Entered the same item twice, but with different names? Don’t worry, you can merge duplicate entries and keep your lists accurate. We’ll show you how.
Before you begin:
- Backup your company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- Switch your company file to "Single User" mode.
- Clear any pending accountant changes.
- Ensure multicurrency isn't turned on in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- Ensure the vendors you want to merge aren’t:
- Tax authorities
- Tax exempt
- Paid through online banking
- Direct deposit vendors
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
Merge entries in Chart of Accounts, Item List, Customer List, Vendor List and Employee List
- Go to the list that has the entries you want to merge.
- Copy the name of the entry you want to keep.
- Right-click the entry you don’t want to use, then select Edit.
- Paste the name you copied, then select Save & Close.
- Select Yes to merge the entries.
Note: (For Chart of Accounts) If you get a message that says “You cannot merge an account that has online information associated with it into another account”, you have an active bank feed on one of the accounts. Here’s how to turn off bank feeds.
Use Merge Vendors tool in Accountant and Enterprise editions
- (QuickBooks Desktop Accountant Edition) Go to the Accountant menu, select Client Data Review, then Merge Vendors.(QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise) Go to the Company menu, select Accounting tools, then Merge Vendors.
- Select the vendors you want to merge, then select Next.
- Select a Primary Vendor, then Merge.
- Select Yes to merge the vendors, then OK.