Learn how to add custom fields to your sales forms and purchase orders in QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials.
You can create custom fields for your invoices, sales receipts, refund receipts, estimates, credit memos, and purchase orders in QuickBooks Online. This gives you the flexibility to add custom data and drive insights through detailed reports.
If you use QuickBooks Online Advanced, here's how to add and manage custom fields.
Set up custom fields
You can only create 3 custom fields on sales forms in QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials. This option is not available for EasyStart. Apart from this, in QuickBooks Online Plus, you can also create upto 3 more custom fields for purchase orders.
Note: To use custom fields on purchase orders, you’ll first need to turn on the purchase orders setting. This option isn’t available for Essentials and EasyStart.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Custom fields.
- Select Add field.
Note: If this is your first time creating a custom field, select Add custom field.
- Enter a name in the Name field.
- Select the All Sales forms or Purchase Order checkbox. Or, select both.
- (Optional) To show the custom field on printed and delivered forms, turn on Print on form. Otherwise, it’ll only appear in QuickBooks Online.
- Select Save.
Manage custom fields
For each custom field, you can see which forms it appears on. You also see the print icon if the custom field is visible to customers or suppliers on a form.
To manage all your custom fields, go to Settings ⚙, then select Custom fields.
Edit a custom field
Any edits you make apply to all forms that use the field.
- In the Actions column, select Edit.
- Make your changes and select Save.
Hide a custom field
You won't lose any data if you hide a field. It’ll still show on the forms you used it on, but not on the new forms.
- In the Actions column, select the small arrow ▼ icon.
- Select Make inactive.
- Select Yes to confirm.
Show a hidden custom field
- Turn on the Include inactive switch.
- In the Actions column, select Make active.