Learn how to set up QuickBooks Database Server Manager in QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager lets you share your company files with other computers over your network. It also helps you monitor your multi-user network. When you set up a network, you need to have QuickBooks Database Server Manager running so users can access your company files.
Before you start, learn more about setting up networks for QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: You'll need a Database Server Manager to run multi-user access. This lets multiple users work on the same company file at the same time. If you don't plan to use multi-user access, you don't need the Database Server Manager.
Step 1: Download Database Server Manager
Database Server Manager is a part of the QuickBooks Desktop file.
If you haven't already, download QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 2: Install Database Server Manager
Install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server computer. This is the computer that hosts your company files.
Important: If you're an accountant or someone who hosts multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on your network, install them in order. Install the oldest version first and end with the most recent.
- Close all open programs on your server computer, including QuickBooks.
- Open the install file you downloaded. It's called Setup_QuickBooks.exe.
- Follow the onscreen instructions. If you need to find your product or license numbers, here's how to find them.
- When QuickBooks asks you to choose an install type, select Custom or Network Options. Then select Next. Don't select Express.
- Choose the best option for your network setup and then select Next. Both the options install the Database Server Manager. If QuickBooks Desktop is already installed on your server computer, this won’t overwrite any existing company data.
- If you want Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, select I'll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I'll be storing... We strongly recommend this option.
- If you only want Database Server Manager on your server computer, select I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop...
- Follow the rest of the onscreen instructions. When you’re ready, select Install. Windows may ask you for permission.
Note: QuickBooks creates a new Windows user for each version of Database Server Manager. For example, Data Server Manager 2019 shows up as QBDataServiceUser29.
Give these users permission to access the folders that hold your company files. You may see these users whenever you set system-level permissions.
Step 3: Set your firewall permissions
If you haven't already, check your firewall and antivirus permissions. Make sure you give the Database Server Manager permission to run on your server computer.
Step 4: Update Database Server Manager
No need to do this yourself. Database Server Manager updates automatically whenever you update QuickBooks Desktop.
Next steps: Use Database Server Manager
Learn how to scan your company files so you can host them over your network.