Learn how to create invoices for your customers in QuickBooks Time.
- Invoicing in QuickBooks Time is only available if your account is not integrated with QuickBooks, Xero, or Gusto.
- QuickBooks Time containing the hours to be billed must be submitted and approved before invoicing.
- In QuickBooks Time, go to Feature Add-ons, then select Manage Add-ons.
- Go to Invoicing, and select Install.
- In the Invoicing Preferences window, enter the information you want to appear on the printed invoices, and select Save.
Set billable rates
- Go to Jobs.
- Next to the job, select Edit ().
- Select Billable, enter a per hour amount, and select Save.
- Go to Invoice.
- In the Generate Invoice window, make your selections:
- Choose a client, and a sub-job, if applicable.
- (Optional) Choose a start and stop date.
- If dates aren't filled out, the invoice will include all uninvoiced time.
- Pick an Invoice Type:
- Detailed: Team member, notes, quantity of hours worked per timesheet
- Grouped: Quantity of hours worked grouped together by job
- Simple: Only amount owed per job with a quantity of “1” for each
- (Optional) Include already invoiced time.
- Choosing a date range is recommended.
- This is useful if time must be invoiced for a project more than once.
- Select Preview Invoice.
- Select add Invoice To Info if you want to add the billing name and address, then Save.
- If the invoice is correct, select Finalize Invoice & Generate PDF.
Note: When this is chosen, the timesheets that make up the invoice are locked. To unlock them, go to Time Entries, then Timesheets, and select the lock icon.
- Select View Invoice PDF to open a new tab with the PDF that you can save or print.
- Select Feature Add-ons, then Manage Add-ons.
- Go to Invoicing, and select Uninstall.
- The billable field will no longer be available in the job editor window.
- If invoicing is installed again, the jobs will retain their previous billable rates.