Occasionally, businesses need to group multiple sales tax items into a group.
To create a sales tax group rate
- Go to Taxes.
- Select Sales tax (Take me there) at the top. (Tip: If you use payroll in QuickBooks Online, you may need to select Sales Tax as opposed to Payroll Tax)
- Select Manage sales tax.
- Select Add tax.
- Select Add next to Group rate.
- Enter the desired Group name.
- (Optional) Select Description to enter additional information.
- From the first Tax rate dropdown, select one of the rates you want to add. By default, the Applicable on dropdown will be greyed out and defaulted to Net amount
- From the second Tax rate dropdown, select the next rate you want to add.
- From the Applicable on dropdown, select what the second rate is applicable on: Net amount, Tax amount, or Net + Tax amount.
- (Optional) If you need to add more than two tax rates, select Add another tax rate and repeat steps 9 &10 above.
- Select Add.
- Your new new group rate will now appear on the Group rates tab of the Manage sales tax screen.