If you're having trouble creating a sales tax payment for a specific date, you can record the payment as an expense type transaction or as a cheque.
The steps in the following sections guide you through the process of recording the payment as an expense or a cheque.
Record the payment
To record the payment as a cheque or expense:
- Go to Expenses and select Expenses (Take me there).
- Select Expense or Cheque from the New transaction dropdown menu, depending on how you want to record the payment.
- Update the date of payment in the Payment date field.
- In the Amounts are field, select Out of Scope of Tax from the dropdown list.
- Under Account details, on the first line, select the appropriate Tax Suspense account, representing the tax to pay, from the dropdown list in the Account field. For example, select GST/HST Suspense or PST BC Suspense.
- Enter the amount of the bounced cheque in the Amount field.
- Select Save.
Your Chart of Accounts reflects that the payment was made.
Review the filing
To review the filing you recorded:
- Go to Taxes and select Sales tax (Take me there).
- Under Filings, select Filed and Paid from the All dropdown list to filter the filings.
The list displays the filing you just recorded.