Accountants and bookkeepers can easily unfile a sales tax return in QuickBooks Online Accountant Sales Tax Centre. This exclusive feature offers flexibility and control in managing client's books.
How to unfile a sales tax return
- From the left menu, select Taxes.
- Select Sales Tax.
- Select the Returns tab.
- Locate the sales tax filing that you'd like to unfile.
- Under the Action column, open the drop down menu to view options.
- Select Undo filing.
- A window will appear asking Are you sure you want to go back? Review the information displayed and select Undo filing.
- A notification will appear next to your open filing, highlighting the date that the return was reopened.
FAQs on unfiling a sales tax return
Here are some commonly asked questions about unfiling a sales tax return.
What happens to my exceptions once I unfile a sales tax return?
Your exceptions will become regular transactions for the periods they were recorded in. You may need to issue appropriate adjustments when refiling the tax period.
What happens to my sales tax return once it's unfiled?
Your return and related transactions will now be listed under open returns. There will be a record of the previous filing under the filed returns area, with a status of reopened.
What happens to my payments once I unfile a sales tax return?
Your payments for the period you've unfiled won't be affected — they will be reapplied to the period once the return is filed again. Payments for future periods or installments will also be applied to the period you have unfiled once it's refiled. If you don't want installments or payments to be applied once it's refiled, you can delete or edit those payments to be applied to another period.