Do you want to open two company files at the same time? With QuickBooks Accountant or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, you can have 2 company files open in 2 different versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
When working with 2 company files, the first opened file is labelled Primary and the second opened file is labelled Secondary. If you close the Primary company file, the Secondary becomes the Primary file.
There are 3 ways to open a Secondary file. While the first company file is open:
- Double-click the second company file's name.
- Double-click the QuickBooks icon.
- Go to the File menu, then select Open Second Company.
Note: Don't use the File menu > Open or Restore Company to open a second company file.
Listed below are the restrictions when opening a Secondary company file. Note that user permissions can't override them.
Restrictions on both Primary and Secondary files
You can't perform the operations listed in the table in either file when 2 company files are open.
- Manage Fixed Assets
- QuickBooks Statement Writer
- Add any QuickBooks Add-ons
- Install Intuit Partner Platform (IPP) applications
|Intuit Data Sync (IDS)||
- Set up, reset, or sync data
|Internet Connection Setup||
- Set up an internet connection from the Windows Control Panel
|Registration and Licensing||
- Register QuickBooks, sync license, change license, unlock to Premier, and add seats
- Any application that uses the QuickBooks Software Development Kit (SDK) to connect to QuickBooks
|Tax Product Integration||
|Update QuickBooks Desktop||
- Download an update to QuickBooks. If Automatic Download is on, the updates will be downloaded but not installed until you exit from both files.
Restrictions on the Secondary file
In addition to the operations listed in the preceding table, you can't perform the following operations on the Secondary file if 2 company files are open.
- Order cheques and envelopes
- Set up account for Online Services
- Import Web Connect file
- Create Online Banking message
- Loan Manager
- Set cheque reorder reminder
- Participating online institutions
- Alerts Manager
- Customer Credit Card Protection
- Manage Currency
- Planning and Budgeting Tools
- Prepare Letters with Envelopes
- Complex Password Setup for Credit Card Protection
|Customize Design and Layout||
- Purchase Order
- Sales Order
- Sales Receipt
- Credit Memo
- All items on the Import and Export sub-menus of the Utilities menu
- Send Forms
- Ship FedEx Package
- Ship UPS Package
- Shipping Manager
- Shipping Settings
- Synchronize Contacts
- Track or Cancel a Shipment
- Update Web Services
|New Business Checklist||
- All items on the checklist
- My Payroll Service (all items)
- Add, Edit, and Delete Payroll Items
- Create Termination Cheque
- Edit Filing Methods
- Edit Payment Due Dates/Methods
- Entering Time: Use Weekly Timesheets, Time/Enter Single Activity
- Excel: Client-Ready Payroll Reports
- Get Payroll Updates
- Pay Employees
- Process Payroll Forms, Adjust Payroll Liabilities (Liability Adjustment), Edit/Void Paycheques, Change New Employee Default Settings
- Payroll Setup
- Set up Workers' Comp
- Start Scheduled Payroll
- Word: Customize Letter Templates
- Workers' Comp: List, New Workers Compensation Code, Create/Edit Experience Modification Factor
- You can only set up a printer in the Primary window.
- Restricted in the Secondary window.
- Restricted in the secondary window
Restrictions on QuickBooks Help
You can only open QuickBooks Help (press F1 on your keyboard) in either the Primary or Secondary file.