Learn how to integrate Squarespace into QuickBooks Online.
With QuickBooks Connector (OneSaas), you're able to set up your complete integration between Squarespace and QuickBooks Online within minutes. Here is a step by step walkthrough, highlighting some useful key points throughout the process.
In this article, you'll learn how to:
- Connect Squarespace and QuickBooks Online
- Configure your Squarespace and QuickBooks Online connection
- Sync your data from Squarespace to QuickBooks Online
Connect Squarespace and QuickBooks Online
Connect the systems you want to integrate. You'll find guides on how to connect every system here.
For this example, we'll connect Squarespace to QuickBooks Online. Select Manage to move forward.
Configure your Squarespace and QuickBooks Online connection
The configuration process below will present you with various options on how you want your Squarespace-QuickBooks Online integration to work. We expect that you have some basic accounting knowledge to make sure the integration settings are tailored to your business and accounting practices.
If you have any questions, you can reach out to our support team for help at any time.
- Set up your Synchronization Options before you start configuring your workflows. You'll need to set up the following:
- Account Timezone
- Integrations Starting Date
- Email Sync Repot Options
You’ll be presented with a list of main workflows. These are all optional, so make sure to read each option carefully. Generally, our sync will allow the following:
- Sales from Squarespace will be sent to QuickBooks Online.
- Products from Squarespace will be sent to QuickBooks Online.
- If you have inventory turned on in QuickBooks, QuickBooks Connector can read this information and update Squarespace.
2. Start the configuration process by selecting the first workflow to sync Squarespace orders into QuickBooks Online.
These configuration settings will help determine some basic integration behaviour:
- Select the Squarespace order statuses from which the app will retrieve sales to sync into QuickBooks Online. Depending on the nature of your business, you may want to also sync sales in the Pending or Fulfilled statuses.
- Select how Squarespace orders will appear in QuickBooks Online. In the case of QuickBooks Online, choose if you want your Squarespace orders to be sent to QuickBooks Online as sales invoices or sales receipts. Select the appropriate option for your business.
3. There are advanced settings called Default Product and Advanced Options.
Alternatively, if you don’t want any customer records to be created within your accounting system at all, you can select the Generic Online Sale Customer option, which means all sales will be synced to your accounting system against a generic Squarespace customer record.
Read more about how this works here.
4. Enable the option to create credit memos in QuickBooks if you plan to sync refunded orders from Squarespace.
- The account from which the payment money is refunded: Select the account where you want QuickBooks Connector to pull the refunded payment from QuickBooks.
- Refund Number Prefix: This allows you to add your preferred credit memo number prefix. QuickBooks Connector will add your new credit memos created in QuickBooks.
- Partial Refund Product: Product used to represent partial amount refunds.
5. Match Squarespace products with QuickBooks Online. In order for sales to properly integrate with your accounting system, we expect that you have all of your Squarespace items set up with unique SKUs.
Note: With QuickBooks Online integrations, we have two product matching options:
- Name: We match the product's SKU field from Squarespaceto the product's NAME field in QuickBooks Online.
- SKU: We match the product's SKU field from Squarespaceto the product's SKU field in QuickBooks Online.
- You'll be taken to the tax configuration page. Here, for each tax created or defined in Squarespace, you must select its corresponding sales tax in your accounting system. Read more about the tax configuration.
Note: If the sales tax setting is disabled in your QuickBooks Online account, or automated sales tax is turned on, you can skip this step.
- Enable this option if you'd like QuickBooks Connector to create new items in QuickBooks Online. You'll have to select the Income and Expense Accounts to be used for Non-Inventoried items.
Note: For inventoried item setup, QuickBooks Connector can only assign the COGS account for the products upon creation, but won’t sync the COGS price of products.
- Payment configuration settings will allow you to select whether you want payment data from Squarespace to be registered against sales within QuickBooks Online.
If you want to map different payment methods to different clearing accounts, select Map Individual Payment Methods.
Note: If you're unsure of which clearing accounts to use, ask your accountant. Make sure you select Save to save your changes. Read more about mapping your payments.
- You also have the option to send order payment fees that were processed through Squarespace by enabling this option.
Note: If you want to send fees to QuickBooks Online, make sure that this is configured with the help of your accountant.
Also, in the Payments section, the payment method accounts should be configured according to the following:
- QuickBooks US and CA: Credit Cards or Chequing Bank accounts.
- QuickBooks AU and UK: Cash accounts.
- Other regions: Configure any account.
- The next workflow option will allow QuickBooks Connector to read all of your Squarespace items and create them in QuickBooks Online.
Some users prefer to only have items that are used in actual sales to be created, while other users prefer to take all Squarespace items and send them through instead.
Note: If you want different products to have different income/expense accounts, this will need to be set up within your accounting system after the items are created by the application.
Make sure to select Save to save your changes.
- If you would like stock level updates from QuickBooks to sync back to Squarespace, you can simply select this option. You’ll be asked if you want to match the items to QuickBooks Online either by Name or SKU.
Note: This option should only be enabled if you have stock levels set up in QuickBooks Online prior to the integration. Otherwise, you’ll risk wiping out your SquareSpace stock levels. Learn more about our Stock Control process.
Make sure to select Save to save your changes.
Sync your data from Squarespace to QuickBooks Online
Your account is now ready to sync your data across your applications. When auto-sync is on, your account should sync every hour, but you can trigger a manual sync at any time. Just select the Sync Now button in the Synchronization Options on top of your Manage tab.