Learn how to keep QuickBooks up-to-date so you have the latest features and product improvements.
QuickBooks automatically downloads and installs the latest updates when they're available. You can also run the update manually yourself.
This is different than updating your company file after you switch to a newer version or edition of QuickBooks Desktop.
To update the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, see Install, Update, and Set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Check to see if you have the latest release
Tip: When you update to a new release, you get small changes and improvements. It doesn't update your company files.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Press F2 (or Ctrl+1) to open the Product Information window.
- Check your current version and release.
See if you have the latest available release for your version:
QuickBooks will automatically download updates when they're available.
Perform an update within QuickBooks
First, download the latest updates:
- Close your company files and QuickBooks.
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Search for QuickBooks Desktop. Right-click the icon and select Run as administrator.
- While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the Options tab. Select Mark All and then select Save.
- Go to the Update Now tab and select the Reset Update checkbox.
- When you're ready, select Get Updates.
When the update finishes, close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop. To install the updates, select Yes.
When the install finishes, restart your computer.
If you have a Payroll subscription, download the latest payroll tax table so you can process payroll in QuickBooks Desktop. Keep in mind, your Payroll subscription must be active.
Get updates from the web
You can also download specific updates directly from our website.
- Go to the Downloads & Updates page.
- From the Select Country dropdown, select your country.
- From the Select Product dropdown, select your product.
- From the Select Version dropdown, select your version (year).
- Select Search.
- Select Get updates. Save the file somewhere that's easy to find, like your Windows desktop.
Tip: Get just the critical fixes. Ultra-Light Patches (ULIP) let you download specific, minor critical fixes instead of the entire update. The patch release process will continue as is. Select Critical Fixes from the list as you download the updates.
When the download finishes, open the file to install the update. After the install, restart your computer.
To manually install updates across your network, access the install file on your computer from another computer. Or, copy it to a flash drive and move it to other computers.