Learn about the pay schedules you can use and set up in your online payroll service.
Select a pay schedule for your employees
Each pay schedule consists of a pay date and a work period.
The pay date is the day employees receive their pay. It can be received via cheque or direct deposit to their bank accounts.
The work period or pay period is the time during which the work is performed. Our online payroll service can determine an employee's pay period as long as you have set up the correct pay frequency and the pay period end. You can change the pay period when setting up or editing a pay schedule. See the steps for how to accomplish this further down in this article.
Here are the pay schedules that QuickBooks Online Payroll supports, with the number of payouts per year.
|Pay schedule||No. of payouts(per year)|
|Every other week||26|
|Twice a month||24|
As an employer, you will need to choose how often to pay your employees. To help you choose, here are a couple of pay schedule scenarios:
- Weekly: An example of a weekly pay schedule is having the pay period as Sunday - Saturday and the pay date as the Friday of the following week. Employees will be paid every Friday for the work performed in the previous week.
- Twice a month: On this pay schedule, there will be two scheduled pay dates in a month. For example, the first pay date of the month will be on the 15th. The first pay date of the month will be for the work performed from the 1st through the 15th of the current month. The second pay date of the month will be at the end of the month for the rest of the month.
- Monthly: Once a month, on the 1st of the month, for example, you can schedule to pay your employees for the work performed in the previous month.
In online payroll, you can accomplish the following:
- Set up more than one pay schedule if employees are paid on different days or for different work periods.
- Set up multiple instances of the same pay frequency. For example, you can have two separate every other week's pay schedules, one for every other Wednesday and the other for every other Friday, and assign them to different employees. However, only one pay schedule can be assigned to each employee.
- Rename the pay schedule to avoid confusion.
- Create or edit an existing pay schedule.
- Select a different pay period when running payroll.
QuickBooks Online Payroll Enhanced pay schedules
Now you know how to set up employee pay schedules in QuickBooks Online.