Accountants and bookkeepers can easily un-file a sales tax return in QuickBooks Online Accountant Sales Tax Centre. This exclusive feature offers flexibility and control in managing client's books.
How to un-file a sales tax return
- From the left menu, select Taxes.
- Select Sales Tax.
- Select the Returns tab.
- Locate the sales tax filing that you'd like to un-file.
- Under the Action column, open the drop down menu to view options.
- Select Undo filing.
- A window will appear asking Are you sure you want to go back? Review the information displayed and click Undo filing.
- A notification will appear next to your open filing, highlighting the date that the return was reopened.
FAQs on un-filing a sales tax return
Here are the commonly asked questions about un-filing a sales tax return.
Your exceptions will become regular transactions for the un-filed period.
Your return and related transactions will now be listed under 'open returns.' There will be a record of the previous filing under the 'filed returns' area, with a status of 'reopened'.
Your payments for the un-filed period won't be affected — they will be re-applied to the period once the return is filed again. Payments for future periods or installments will also be applied to the un-filed period once it's re-filed. If you don't want installments or payments to be applied once it's refiled, you can delete or edit those payments to be applied to another period.