What to know about editing templates
- templates should always be RTF files (Rich Text Document) format created by WordPad, the default Windows word processor
- contents should always be copied and pasted from Notepad, never directly from an email or word processor application
- coding locations should not be shifted or broken (blue text); however, any text in black can be altered as desired
- logos, signature graphics, etc. can be added to templates; however, they should not exceed 400kb (this is an estimate... larger files causes ProFile to become unstable)
- all images must be bmp or wmf formats
- headers and footers are not supported by ProFile
If working in a local environment
1. Select the "Templates..." option under the "Options" drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
2. The "Template Editor" window displays:
3. Select a year and module from the tab menu (for example, "2018 T1/TP1").
4. Select the individual template to modify.
5. Click the "Edit Template" button.
6. Edit the template as required:
7. Click the "save" icon in the menu toolbar.
The "Save As" window displays:
8. Navigate to the location to save the revised template and save using an appropriate file name.
9. Click the "Save" button; the revised template saves.
Note: click the "Use default template" button to revert back to the default template.
If working in a network environment
Note the following if working in a network environment:
- use the "Browse" button in the "Base Template Directory" to select a location to store customize template.
- use the "Browse" button in the "File Path" field to select a customized template. Note the "Use default template" option must be unchecked.
Insert a graphic in a template
1. Open the template.
2. Select the "Graphic" option from the "Insert" menu:
3. Select the location and individual graphic to insert.
Note: all inserted images must be *.bmp or *.wmf formats
4. Click the "Open" button.
The image inserts in the template.
5. Click the "save" button in the toolbar.
Personalize a template
Personalizing a template changes the content on the letter without modifying any of the coding.
1. Open the return.
2. Press the <F4> key; the Form Explorer displays.
3. Enter "letter" in the "Form" field and press <Enter>; the letter displays.
4. Right-click in the letter and select the "Personalize" option:
5. Make the necessary changes.
6. Click the "save" button in the toolbar.
7. Save the personalized letter with the appropriate file name in the preferred directory.
Note: if any changes done to the coding, "Edit Template", will not appear on a modified, personalized template. Confirm that "Personalized" is not selected if no changes occur after editing a template.
Get in touch with other Accountants
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook