Learn what to do if you see errors when you send emails in QuickBooks Desktop.
If you see this error message, your antivirus software may be blocking the emails you send from QuickBooks:
"QuickBooks is unable to send the email since your antivirus has blocked outgoing emails"
All you need to do is give QuickBooks the right permissions. You can either manually change your system permissions or modify your antivirus software settings.
Change your system permissions
You can edit your INI system file to give QuickBooks the right permissions.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Press F2. Then press F3 to open the Tech Help window.
- Go to the Open File tab.
- Find and select QBW.ini from the list. Then select Open File. This will open the file in Notepad.
- In Notepad, add a new line at the bottom of the text. Add [QBWEBMAIL]CUSTOM_CERT_ENABLE=1 to the line.
- Go to File and select Save. Then close Notepad.
- Close and restart QuickBooks.
Modify your antivirus settings
Your antivirus software may be accidentally blocking QuickBooks.
Check the area of your program that lists blocked files (sometimes called your “quarantine”). Refer to your antivirus program for how to set up permissions. Make sure QuickBooks has the right permissions, or use these links if you’re a Norton or McAfee user.
Some programs have features specifically for filtering emails. You may want to disable this feature.
Fix Outlook issues
Here's what to do if you're specifically having issues with Outlook or you don't see Outlook as an option in your preferences.