You may need to increase available hard drive space or check for enabled disk quotas if you get the following message when you open or create a company file, or switch to multi-user mode:
Free some hard drive space. QuickBooks is running slowly...
The following similar errors may also appear when restoring or creating a backup:
Error: You must have XXX KB/MB available on [Drive Letter] or [\\Server Name\]
Error: There is not enough free space
Remember, if you encounter the Maintenance Alert:
- Selecting Remind me later closes the alert window. However, the message will appear after 12 hours or until you take action.
- Selecting Dismiss closes the alert window and prevents the message from showing up again in the future.
- Alerts are included with the Reminders in QuickBooks Desktop 2016 and later.
Check and increase the availability of your hard drive space
- To open the file explorer, press the Windows key+E.
- Right-click the hard drive where your company file is stored, then select Properties.
- On the "General" tab, note the amount listed as Free Space.
- If the amount of free space is low (or is less than 15% of total drive space), you may need to delete old or unnecessary files, or perform Disk Cleanup.
- If the amount of free space is sufficient (at least 2.5 GB), check for active disk quotas. Consult with your computer manufacturer, Microsoft, or an IT professional for further assistance.