Learn how to record paying back a capital investment.
After you record an investment, you may need to record paying yourself, partners or co-owners back at a later date. This is called a capital disbursement.
Paying with an actual check
If you’re going to send someone a paper check, follow these steps:
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon and select Cheque.
- Enter the person or business you’re paying back.
- For the Cheque no. enter a check number.
- Enter the following information in the Category Details section.
- First line: The equity account you use to track the investment in QuickBooks, and the amount you're paying back today.
- Second Line: Expense account you use to track the interest you pay, and the amount of interest that is part of your payment today.
- Other lines: Any additional fees and their appropriate accounts.
- Select Save and close.
Paying with a debit or credit card
If you’re paying someone back with a debit or credit card, you can record the repayment as an expense.