eSignature is a new way to ask clients for signatures and other inputs on forms and documents in ProFile. DocuSign allows you to request signatures and other inputs directly from ProFile without having to track individual emails or files. After requests are sent you can track which requests have been completed and which are still outstanding in one convenient dashboard.
How eSignature works in ProFile with DocuSign
- Create your DocuSign account.
- Connect your DocuSign account to ProFile.
- Select the form or document in ProFile that needs client signatures or input.
- Send the form or document to your client to sign.
Getting Started on DocuSign
Purchase a ProFile license
Purchase and enter a current tax year license in ProFile (click here to learn how to add a license to ProFile).
Create a DocuSign account
1. Click here or select the “Get one here” option from the prompt window when ProFile starts:
You are directed to the DocuSign account sign-up window:
2. Enter your personal and business information to create your DocuSign account.
Setting up your DocuSign account
1. Open the DocuSign website.
2. Log in to your DocuSign Account.
3. Select the Settings option in the top menu:
4. Select the Signing Settings on the left-side navigation panel:
5. Update the Current Date Format field in the Document Formatting section to reflect the YYYY-MM-DD format:
6. Update the Current Time Format to reflect the HH:MM:SS
7. Save the settings and close the browser tab.
Connecting DocuSign to ProFile
You can review a video of this process here:
1. Open ProFile.
2. Select Integration… from the Options drop-down menu in the top toolbar:
The Integration Options window displays:
3. Click Connect.
4. Sign in to ProFile with your Intuit account login and password.
Note: If you do not yet have an Intuit account you can create one using the Create an Account option:
ProFile connects to DocuSign. You will be prompted to log in if this is the first time connecting ProFile to DocuSign:
5. Log in to your DocuSign account.
6. Click Accept when prompted to allow ProFile to connect to the DocuSign service. It is only necessary to accept this connection once.
A “successfully connected” message displays:
7. Close the browser tab.
In the event an email address is associated with multiple DocuSign accounts, you will be prompted to select the DocuSign account that the ProFile license should connect to.
8. Select the appropriate account, if prompted:
Your connection status updates in the Integration Options window:
Close the Integration Options window. The connection remains active.
You can now begin sending documents to clients for electronic signatures.
Sending documents for eSignatures
You can review a video of this process here:
If you are using eSignature for coupled returns, you can review a video of this process here:
1. In ProFile, open the file or form that requires a signature or client input.
2. Select the Collect eSignature option under the File -> eSignature menu:
The Send documents to DocuSign screen displays:
3. Enter a recipient in the Recipients Emails field.
Note: For T1 returns, the Recipients Emails field automatically populates based on information in the return, and a spousal return displays both spouses in the Recipients Emails field. You can select both spouses as recipients, but each spouse will only be able to contribute signatures or information as designated by the sender.
When sending the documents to multiple recipients, each of them will have visibility of the sent documents but will only be able to sign the documents designated to them by the sender.
4. Select the file that requires client signatures or other inputs (for example, T183 or Authorize a Rep).
If you need to send a form to a client that is not provided on the default forms list (for example, an Engagement letter) you can add it as a PDF to DocuSign and send it to clients. Note that only a single PDF may be sent to clients at a time.
Open the Engagement letter in ProFile and save it as a PDF.
Click the button in DocuSign and browse to where you saved the Engagement letter PDF.
Double-click on the Engagement letter PDF. The PDF opens in DocuSign.
Apply any elements that are required for client input (for example, a signature) to the Engagement letter.
Send the signature request attached to the Engagement letter to your client.
Note: only PDF-format files can be attached. Password-protected PDFs are not supported.
5. Enter an email subject in the Subject field (for example, “Request to sign attached documents”).
6. Enter a description or request in the Email Body field (for example, “Please sign the attached documents where indicated.”)
7. Click Send to DocuSign.
The DocuSign elements panel opens:
8. Select the recipient from the drop-down menu of the left-side panel:
9. Select the file that requires a signature or input from the list on the right-side panel:
The selected file displays in the center panel:
10. Drag-and-drop the required elements (signature, initials, etc.) from the left-side panel to the file displayed in the center panel.
The elements display on form in center panel where they have been dropped:
11. Click the SEND button in the top-right section when finished adding elements to documents.
The document(s) are sent to the recipient's email with the elements included.
Recipient actions after signature request
The request recipient opens the email and clicks the REVIEW DOCUMENTS button:
The DocuSign signature panel opens for the recipient. The displayed form includes all the requests for input:
The email recipient enters the required information and inputs.
Note: each individual email recipient will only see requests and input elements for themselves, not for any other recipients.
The email recipient clicks the FINISH button in the top-right section of the page:
Reviewing the DocuSign request dashboard
1. Select the Dashboard option under the File -> eSignature menu:
The eSignature Status window displays:
The status window indicates the following for all eSignature requests:
|Displays designated recipients for requests.|
|Displays individual forms and documents included in a request.|
|There are four statuses’ in the DocuSign process:
Created: request has been created but not yet sent.
Sent: request has been sent but not signed as requested.
Complete: request sent and complete as requested.
Partially Complete: one or more recipient has requested actions still incomplete
|There are two actions available:
Download: all files in the request download to a .zip folder.
Send Reminder: another reminder is sent to the designated recipient.
2. Click the DocuSign link at bottom to display the eSignature status and summary page, if required:
3. Click the Request new button on bottom to start a new eSignature request, if required. You will need to open a client file to be able to request a signature or view the dashboard.
Note the following:
- If you open a T1/TP1 client the dashboard only displays the status of the requests sent to that client
- If you open a T2/CO17 the dashboard only displays the status of the business for which the file is open
- If you open a T3 or FX client the dashboard does not apply any filter and displays the status of all requests across all years
Disconnecting from DocuSign
1. Select Integration… from the Options drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
The Integration Options window displays:
2. Click DocuSign in the left-side panel.
3. Click the Disconnect button.
ProFile disconnects from the DocuSign service.
Frequently Asked Questions about using DocuSign
Which modules are supported?
You can use the DocuSign eSignature feature to collect digital signatures on any forms across T1, T2, T3 and FX modules.
Which years are supported?
You can use the DocuSign eSignature feature for all years supported in ProFile provided you have a valid Tax Year 2020 or later year license.
What file formats are supported?
DocuSign supports only PDF format files at this time.
Does the DocuSign eSignature feature work for trial and OnePay licenses?
No, the eSignature feature is not available for trial and OnePay licenses.
Can I attach multiple documents to a single request for client inputs?
Yes. You can attach as many documents and forms to a single request provided the total size of all documents does not exceed 25 MB.
Can there be more than one recipient on a single request for client inputs?
Multiple recipients are only supported on the T1 or T1/TP1 modules. For T2, T3 and FX (and their Quebec equivalents) you can only have one recipient.
How do I change the email template?
You currently only have the option to configure one email template. You will see a default email template is loaded the first time you want to send the eSignature request to your client. Both the email subject and body are editable and you can customize it per your needs and save it for all subsequent usages. Once you customize the email subject and body fields, send out the eSignature request and it will override your last saved template.
How often does the request dashboard refresh?
The dashboard is refreshed every time you open the dashboard. If the dashboard is open it will not refresh.
Do I have to login to DocuSign every time I launch ProFile?
No. One you have connected to a DocuSign account in ProFile you don’t need to reconnect every time you restart ProFile. The connection is maintained as long as you are actively using the connection (at least once within a 30-day period) to send documents for eSignature or track the status of your prior requests.
Can I collect eSignature on password protected files?
No. DocuSign currently does not support eSignatures on password protected files.
Can documents deleted from DocuSign be recovered?
Documents deleted from DocuSign are available for 24 hours after deletion. You can look under the Deleted folder for deleted documents. They will no longer be available to be recovered after 24 hours.