About Exporting ProFile Data
The "export" feature allows preparers to select, export, and work with ProFile customer data in another program. In this example, ProFile customer details are exported into a Microsoft Excel file to better organize and manage customer data.
The "export" feature is undertaken via the Client Explorer database.
Related Webinars: Setting up Client Explorer
Export to Microsoft Excel using the Client Explorer Database
Setting the Filter Parameters
Note: it is only possible to export returns of a single type (e.g., 2016 T1) when undertaking a filtering and exporting effort. Exporting multiple types of returns in one effort is not currently possible.
1. Open ProFile.
2. Select the "Client Explorer" option from the "GoTo" drop-down menu in the top toolbar. Alternatively, use the <F3> key on the keyboard.
The Client Explorer displays.
3. Click the "Filter" button:
The "Filter" pane displays at the bottom of the window.
4. Select the required module (e.g. T1) from the tab menu. Unselect any other modules.
5. Select the tax year, Client Status, and other applicable values to filter for results.
Tip: right-click in a tab within a module (e.g. the "Years" tab whithin the "T1" module) and select the "Clear All" option. All tax years are cleared, facilitating the ability to easily select a single tax year.
6. Click the "Apply Filters" button:
The filtered results display.
Selecting Fields to Export to Microsoft Excel File
1. Select the "Select All" option from the "Database" drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
The filtered returns are all selected.
2. Select the "Export..." option from the "Database" drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
The "Export Files" window displays.
3. Click the "Options" button:
The "Export Options" window displays.
4. Click the "Add" button; the "Select Field" window displays.
Multiple types of fields can be selected and added to the export list, including:
- Personal Info
- T1 Jacket
- T1 Schedules
Adding a Field to the Export List
Note: only one field can be selected and added to the export list at a time.
1. Navigate through the tabs and field names and locate the field to export, e.g. "Line303" from the "T1 Schedules" tab.
2. Click on the field:
3. Click the "OK" button.
The selected field is added to the list of fields to export to the Microsoft Excel file:
Exporting Field Names via Pick Function
The "Pick" function allows preparers to export field names that have been selected in the "Export Options" window.
Click the "Pick" button; the list of available fields displays.
Select the required field name and click the "OK" button.
The selected field name is added to the list of fields to export to the Microsoft Excel file:
Deleting a Field from the Export List
1. Select each field to delete individually in the "Export" list.
2. Click the "Delete" button.
The field deletes from the "Export" list.
Exporting the Selected Fields
1. Select the "Format" tab in the "Export Options" window.
2. Click the small "file folder" icon; the "Open" window displays.
3. Navigate to the location where the file should be created and saved.
4. Right-click in the location and select the "Text Document" option under the "New" menu:
A new text document is created:
5. Rename the new text document as you require (e.g. "2017 Excel Report"):
6. Select the new text document and click the "Open" button.
The "Export Options" window displays, listing the text document characteristics:
7. In the "Export to File" field, change the file extension to ".xls":
Note: it is necessary to have the option to "show file extensions" turned on to set the file extension to .xls. Review this article to learn how.
8. In the "Export Type" field, select the option "Tab Delimited" option from the drop-down menu:
9. Click the "Export Field Names" check box:
10. Click the "Save" button.
11. Click the "OK" button.
The "Export Files" window displays.
12. Click the "Export" button:
The export process begins:
13. Navigate to the location of the exported file and double-click the Excel file.
14. Select the "Yes" option when prompted by a warning message:
Note: customers will see two documents in the specified location: a .txt file and an .xls file. This is normal behavior. The .txt file can be deleted.