Client Explorer database
If you have duplicate entries in the Client Explorer client list or incorrect associations of files to database entries (due to duplicate SINs, names or business numbers), you may want to rebuild the Client Explorer database. First you must clear the existing database so that when you index the database, you do not simply add client files to the list and create more duplicate entries.
To clear the database:
- Go to "Options" > "Database" > "Use Client Explorer".
- Select the applicable database in the "Database" box.
- Click the "Clear" button.
- Choose between options 1 or 2 (see below)
Option number 1 (this is the preferable option): Clear only information that ProFile can restore when you re-index the Client Explorer. This does not affect the data in your client files. Select to clear the client list before re-indexing the database when the Client Explorer displays:
- Duplicate entries resulting from indexing on folders that contain identical files
- Files grouped incorrectly under the same client name, due to duplicate identifying details in the files
- Outdated references to files that have been moved through Windows Explorer, rather than using the Client Explorer (files appearing in the Client Explorer can't be opened)
Option number 2 clears the database of all client information. This option permanently deletes all customized information entered on the Client Details dialog boxes for all clients with records in the Client Explorer. This does not affect the data in your client files.
- Click "OK". You can now re-index the client files.
If there are duplicate entries in the Classic Database or incorrect associations of files to database entries (due to duplicate SINs, names or business numbers), the Classic Database may be rebuilt to resolve the issue.
First the existing database must be cleared so that when re-indexed the same client files are not re-added to the list to create more duplicate entries.
1. Select the "Database..." option from the "Options" drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
The "Database/Client Explorer Options" window displays.
2. Select the "Use Classic Database" option.
3. Click the "OK" button.
4. Select the "Open" option from the "Database" drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
The "Open" window displays.
5. Click the "Index" button on the right-side button of the window (see #1 in the image below).
The "File Index" window displays.
6. Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder returns are stored.
7. Click the "OK" button; the path displays in the "File Directory" pane.
8. Click the "Clear" button.
A confirmation window displays, asking the question "Do you really want to clear this index?"
9. Click the "Yes" button (see #2 in the image below).
10. Click the "OK" button.
The database clears.
Get in touch with other Accountants
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook