What is ReFILE?
If you are an EFILE service provider, you can use ReFILE to send T1 adjustments online for tax years 2016, 2017, 2018,and 2019 on behalf of your clients. The ReFILE service lets you change the same lines that individual taxpayers can with the "Change my Return" service in "My Account".
Who can use ReFILE?
Preparers can use the ReFILE service if the following conditions apply:
- you have ProFile version 2016.4.3 or later (for tax year 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 ReFILE)
- you have level 2 authorization from your client on an Authorize a Rep form
- the initial return was filed online (EFILE)
- the initial return was assessed
- you have acquired a new sign-off of a revised T183 from client
What tax years does ReFILE support?
ReFILE is supported for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 tax years with the latest ProFile version (2016.4.3 or later).
Please see the "Frequently Asked Questions" section at the bottom of this article for more information.
You can also review the CRA article "EFILE for electronic filers" for additional information.
Prepare a Return to ReFILE
Complete a ReFILE Request Form
You can review our tutorial video on completing a T1 ReFile Request Form below:
Verifying an Authorize a Rep form is Present
Updating the T183 Form
If using module 2016:
3. Acquire a new sign-off from the client on the updated T183 form prior to ReFILE attempt.
If using module 2017 and later:
1. Open the T183 Form used for the initial EFILE of the return:
2. Enter the preparer name (person or firm) and electronic filer number in section "C":
ReFILE the Return
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does ReFILE submit only the new and/or updated information added to a return?
Can I use ReFILE for a return after the filing deadline has passed?
Is ReFILE available for Quebec returns?
Can preparers batch ReFILE returns?
Is it possible to get a summary for changes to a return that were ReFILED?
Can I do a ReFILE on a paper return?
Does the ReFILE status of a return display in Hub?
How many times can I undertake a ReFILE for an EFILED return?
CRA will accept multiple ReFILE submissions for any single EFILED return. However, the online system accepts only nine readjustments per tax year for each taxpayer, whether the taxpayer, preparer, or CRA initiates the adjustments.
If the limit is exceeded, users receive an automated response stating that the limit has been reached. Users can make additional requests on paper, preferably using Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, and mail them to the CRA.