cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

How can I distinguish between GST and PST on my invoices?

I need to distinguish between how much is going to be paid in GST vs PST on my invoices I need to pay 5% GST and 7% PST for a total of 12% on the invoice
3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: How can I distinguish between GST and PST on my invoices?

Hello,

 

It's a great idea to keep an eye on the taxes included in your invoices. I'll be happy to assist with this. QuickBooks Online offers a solid Sales Tax centre that does most of the work so you can focus on your business success. After you setup the sales taxes relevant to you, they will be available under the SALES TAX column when creating an invoice. To apply the tax rates, follow these steps:

  1. Select the (+) sign from the top right menu.
  2. Select Invoice.
  3. Input the invoice details as needed.
  4. Under the Sales Tax column, select the tax rate you with to use from the drop-down menu. In this example, I picked GST/PST MB (12%).
  5. You'll notice that the applicable taxes are displayed in detail under the Subtotal line.

 

To know more about the sales tax feature in QuickBooks Online, check these community articles.

 

Reach out if you have any other questions.

Level 1

Re: How can I distinguish between GST and PST on my invoices?

Thanks for the quick reply! How do you have the tax type set up in your taxes to distinguish GST and PST? I've tried to create on for BC with a grouped 7% for GST and 5% for PST, but on the invoice, it's only charging PST (BC)
QuickBooks Team

Re: How can I distinguish between GST and PST on my invoices?

The steps to setup a new tax code are included in the first link on the page I sent you earlier, titled How to set up a new sales tax code. I created a default provincial tax code for British Columbia by doing as follows:

  1. Select Taxes
  2. Select Manage sales tax
  3. Select Add tax
  4. Select Add in the Provincial section
  5. Select British Columbia and input the relevant details
  6. Select Add at the bottom

When you create an invoice, under the SALES TAX column, select GST/PST BC (12%) as shown below. The system automatically calculates the tax and displays the proper amounts.

 

If you require further help with this, I suggest calling our phone support team at 1-855-253-1536. Our agents are available Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST.

 

Cheers!