Learn how to set up where you collect sales tax so you can track your sales tax automatically in QuickBooks Online.
QuickBooks Online keeps track of your province's tax laws to accurately calculate sales tax and returns. All you need to do is tell QuickBooks where you collect sales tax. If you charge sales tax outside of your province, you can add other tax agencies you pay. Here’s how.
Add a new tax agency
Do this if you need to charge sales tax for your out-of-province transactions.
- Go to Taxes, then Sales Tax.
- Select Manage sales tax.
- Select Add tax.
- Select Add next to Start tracking in a new province option and follow the prompts to complete set up. This option will automatically set up any new agencies necessary (such as new PST agencies) and the most common codes for that province/territory.
- Select the province or territory from the drop-down. (Tip: Only provinces that you haven't yet set up will be listed)
- Select your next tax period start month, then Filing Frequency ▼ dropdown.
- Select Reporting Method, then enter your PST number.
- Select Add.
In the Tax agencies tab, you can now see the new Tax Agency you have just created.