Learn how to upgrade to a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop from within the program.
If you need to upgrade QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise, we’ll show you how. If you want to buy QuickBooks, select the QuickBooks best for you. After you buy QuickBooks, you can start the upgrade tool.
Upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop subscription
When a new version of QuickBooks is available, you'll get a message when you open QuickBooks. We make it simple for you to upgrade.
- When you’re ready, select Upgrade Now.
- Select Keep old version on my computer if you want to keep your current QuickBooks. Then select Let’s go. QuickBooks downloads, installs, and activates the new version for you. It updates your company file(s).
- When the upgrade is done, select Open QuickBooks.
Note: The upgrade may take some time. It depends on your internet speed and size of your company file(s).
Upgrade QuickBooks Desktop without a subscription
If you don’t see a prompt to upgrade, don’t worry. It means you made a one-time purchase of QuickBooks. You can upgrade with the easy upgrade tool. Here’s how.
- Select Help, and then Upgrade QuickBooks.
- Select the version you want to upgrade to, then select Upgrade Now.
- You can keep a copy of your current version of QuickBooks. Select Keep old version on my computer, then select Let’s go.
QuickBooks downloads, installs, and activates the new version for you. It updates your company file(s).