It's that time again! We've gathered information about the year-end process for QuickBooks Online Advanced Payroll to help make things go smoothly this holiday season. Please read the entire document carefully to ensure that you don't experience any issues with your payroll due to the upcoming holidays and year-end updates.
|If your original pay date falls on:||You'll need to approve payroll by 12 pm EST on:|
|Wednesday, December 25, 2019 (Christmas Day)||Friday, December 20, 2019|
|Thursday, December 26, 2019 (Boxing Day)||Thursday, December 19, 2019|
|Friday, December 27, 2019||Friday, December 20, 2019|
|Monday, December 30, 2019||Monday, December 23, 2019|
|Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Thursday, December 24, 2019|
|Wednesday, January 1, 2020 (New Year's Day||Friday, December 27, 2019|
|Thursday, January 2, 2020||Friday, December 27, 2019|
|Friday, January 3, 2020||Monday, December 30, 2019|
|Monday, January 4, 2020||Tuesday, December 31, 2019|
Year-end reports will be generated for all payrolls with a pay date within 2019 (January to December 2019)
To minimize discrepancies or potential penalties, take time to review your account setup and ensure that year-to-date amounts have been added and are accurate for all employees, including terminated employees who require a T4, T4A or RL-1.
We'll automatically file your T4's, T4A's & Relevè 1's at year-end if you enable Auto-submit. If you do not enable Auto-submit you will need to file your year end forms yourself. You'll be able to review them and edit them starting January 6th, 2020.
You can only edit year-end forms until Feb 16, 2020:
- Submitted T4’s will upload to the employee portal
- You can do an early approval and we will file the T4’s early
- Submitted T4’s will flow into the employee portal
- If you have workers needing an Rl-1 summary, you will need to print, sign and submit them yourself.
If you need to have a T4 adjusted prior to January 7th, please contact CAN_ADVPayroll_Support@intuit.com and provide the required information.
The expected time frame for a completed adjustment is 3 business days:
- You MUST include the exact details (i.e.): Add $300 to Box 40 and it is also reported in Box 14 but not in 24 or 26. Reduce CPP by $5.00, etc.
- Please be clear on whether or not the edit is overriding the total value or just an addition / reduction.
- If a form needs to be amended after it has been submitted, we can start doing amendments March 1, 2020 for a $10 charge.
Note: Year-end looks at pay dates, so the pay date must be in 2019. If you processes a manual bonus in which the pay date is past the cut-off date for processing, the tax portion needs to be remitted by you yourself.
We'll automatically file your T4's, T4A's & Relevè 1's at year end. You'll be able to review them and make any changes in January before we file.
To edit your T4's:
- Navigate to Reports -> Year-end forms
- Select the previous tax year from the drop-down menu.
- Select the form to edit.
- Select the Employee whose T4 needs to be edited.
- Click Run report.
- Click Edit at that bottom-right of the screen.
- Edit any required boxes by entering values.
- Click Save at that bottom-right of the screen.
- Repeat as necessary for any remaining employees.
Note: once you update Employee T4's the T4 summary will automatically update to reflect these changes.
To opt out of having your T4's filed automatically:
- Click the Employees tab.
- Select Pay & Tax settings.
- Set Auto-file Year-end forms to Off.
Important: if you notice any changes that need to be made to employee details, tax settings, etc. please contact support at 1-855-253-1536.
Contact our Customer Success team at 1-855-253-1536 if any of your employees receive a CRA issued “Tax Reduction at Source” notice so we can make the necessary adjustments.
Contact your provincial WSIB/WCB agency to secure your Workers’ Compensation rates for 2020.
Update the rates with the new rates for 2020 on Wednesday, December 26, 2019 to correspond with your first pay date in January 2020:
- Select Employees from the left-side menu.
- Select Pay & tax settings tab.
- Select Workers' Compensation from the left-side menu.
- Under Actions, select Edit.
- Save the selections.
|Note: QuickBooks Online Advanced Payroll can only handle the WSIB/WCB remittances on your behalf. We're not authorized to complete your WSIB/WCB reporting. However, to help you complete your reporting accurately, we provide a handy WSIB Payroll Report:
Update your remittance schedule in the system if you have received any notifications from the CRA regarding a change to your current remittance schedule.
Update your Remittance Schedule with your new frequency for 2020 on Thursday, December 26, 2019 to correspond with your first pay date in January 2020:
- Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar and select Payroll Settings.
- Select Company information from the left-side menu.
- select the remittance frequency from the Remittance frequency drop-down menu.
- Save the selections.
Load all the federal and provincial holidays for 2020.
- Select the Gear icon on the toolbar, then choose Payroll Settings.
- Select Company holidays from the left-side menu.
- Select Load holidays.
Note: Review the dates carefully to remove any statutory holidays that do not apply to your province. If you are unsure about which holidays are statutory, contact your provincial labour board to confirm which holidays apply.