It's that time again! We've gathered information about the year-end process for QuickBooks Online Advanced Payroll to help make things go smoothly this holiday season. Please read the entire document carefully to ensure that you don't experience any issues with your payroll due to the upcoming holidays and year-end updates.
|If your original pay date falls on:||You'll need to approve payroll by 12 pm ET on:|
|Tuesday, December 25, 2018 (Christmas Day)||Thursday, December 20, 2018|
|Wednesday, December 26, 2018 (Boxing Day)||Thursday, December 20, 2018|
|Thursday, December 27, 2018||Thursday, December 20, 2018|
|Friday, December 28, 2018||Friday, December 21, 2018|
|Monday, December 31, 2018||Monday, December 24, 2018|
|Tuesday, January 1, 2019 (New Year's Observed)||Thursday, December 27, 2018|
|Wednesday, January 2, 2019||Thursday, December 27, 2018|
|Thursday, January 3, 2019||Friday, December 28, 2018|
|Friday, January 4, 2019||Monday, December 31, 2018|
Year-end reports will be generated for all payrolls with a pay date within the period from January to December 2019. To minimize discrepancies or potential penalties, please take your time to review your account setup and ensure that year-to-date amounts have been added and are accurate for all employees, including terminated employees who require a T4, T4A or RL-1.
Year-end will happen in three phases this year:
Phase 1: November 26, 2018 Read only T4’s & Rl-1’s
You will now see your T4s/T4 Summary reports as a PDF in the Reports section. You’ll be able to edit your T4’s starting January 7th, 2019. If you need to have a T4 adjusted prior to January 7th, please contact CAN_ADVPayroll_Support@intuit.com and provide the required information.
- The expected timeframe for a completed adjustment is 3 business days:
- You MUST include the exact details (i.e.): Add $300 to Box 40 and it is also reported in Box 14 but not in 24 or 26. Reduce CPP by $5.00, etc.
- Please be clear on whether or not the edit is overriding the total value or just an addition / reduction.
Phase 2: December 7, 2018 - Notification Centre (employee dashboard)
You will see a new tab in the employees section of QuickBooks Online that gives task notifications to prepare for year-end.
Phase 3: January 7, 2019 All year-end forms will be pushed out to the reports section
- You can make edits to these forms until Feb 16, 2019
- Submitted T4’s will upload to the employee portal
- You can do an early approval and we will file the T4’s early
- Submitted T4’s will flow into the employee portal
- If you have workers needing an Rl-1 form, you will need to print, sign and submit them yourself.
- If a form needs to be amended after it has been submitted, we can start doing amendments March 1, 2019 for a $10 charge.
Note: Year-end looks at pay dates, so the pay date must be in 2018. If the user processes bonus that the pay date is passed the cut-off date for processing, and have paid it manually, the tax portion needs to be remitted by the customer themselves.
We'll automatically file your T4's, T4A's & Relevè 1's at year end. You'll be able to review them and make any changes in January before we file.
To edit your T4's:
- Go to Reports > Year-end forms
- Select the previous tax year from the drop down menu
- Select the form you wish to edit
- Select the Employee whose T4 needs to be edited
- Click Run report
- Click Edit (bottom right of screen)
- Edit any boxes as needed by entering values
- Click Save (bottom right of screen)
- Repeat for all necessary employees
Note: Once you update Employee T4's the T4 summary will automatically update to reflect these changes
To opt out of having your T4's filed automatically:
- Click Employees tab
- Select Pay & Tax settings
- Turn Auto file Year-end forms to Off
Calculate QHSF rate for RL-1 Summary
- Select the link to open the RL-1 Summary PDF.
- Scroll down to work chart B.
- Use the wage & salary amounts at the top of the Relevé 1 Summary. Note: QuickBooks to fill in line 106 of the work chart.
- Follow the steps on the work chart to calculate your rate.
- Enter the QHSF rate from line 117 of the work chart in line 36 of your Relevé 1 Summary in QuickBooks.
- Save your changes.Note: The rate entered will be used to calculate the contribution on line 37.
Québec City and other regionsRevenu Québec3800, rue de MarlyP. 25666, succursale TerminusQuébec (Québec) G1A 1B6
Montréal, Laval, Laurentides, Lanaudière and MontérégieRevenu QuébecP. 6700, succursale Place-DesjardinsMontréal (Québec) H5B 1J4
Important: If you notice any changes that need to be made to employee details, tax settings, etc. please contact support at 1-855-253-1536.
If any of your employees receive a CRA issued “Tax Reduction at Source” notice, please call our customer success team so we can make the necessary adjustments on our end 1-855-253-1536.
Please contact your provincial WSIB/WCB agency to secure your Workers’ Compensation rates for 2019.
Update the rates with the new rates for 2019 on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 to correspond with your first pay date in January 2019:
- From the left menu, select Employees.
- Choose Pay & tax settings tab.
- From the left menu, select Workers' Compensation.
- Under Actions, select Edit.
- After editing, select Save.
|Note: QuickBooks Online Advanced Payroll can only handle the WSIB/WCB remittances on your behalf. We're not authorized to complete your WSIB/WCB reporting. However, to help you complete your reporting accurately, we provide a handy WSIB Payroll Report:
If you have received any notifications from the CRA regarding a change to your current remittance schedule, please be sure to update your remittance schedule in the system.
Please update your Remittance Schedule with your new frequency for 2019 on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 to correspond with your first pay date in January 2019:
- Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then choose Payroll Settings.
- From the left menu select Company information.
- Select the Remittance frequency drop-down, then choose your remittance frequency and Save.
Load all the federal and provincial holidays for 2019 on Wednesday, December 26. To do this:
- Select the Gear icon on the toolbar, then choose Payroll Settings.
- From the left menu, select Company holidays.
- Select Load holidays.
Note: Review the dates carefully to remove any statutory holidays that do not apply to your province. If you are unsure about which holidays are statutory, contact your provincial labour board to confirm which holidays apply.