Learn how to include quote summaries on your progress invoices in QuickBooks Online.
If you do projects for customers and bill them as you go (“progress invoicing”), you can include a quote summary on their invoices. This keeps your customers in the loop and lets them know how much they’ve been invoiced for their projects.
Step 1: Turn on progress invoicing and create an invoice template
Step 2: Add quote summaries to your invoice template
Go back into the Custom Form Styles menu to add quote summaries.
- Select the Settings ⚙ icon from any page, and then select Custom Form Styles.
- Select Edit to update your existing progress invoicing template.
- Select the Content tab. Then select the pencil icon on the third section of the form.
- Check the Quote summary checkbox.
- Select Done to save your work.
Quote summaries will now appear at the bottom of invoices using this template.
Step 3: Set your default invoice template
Use your new template to send progress invoices. If you send lots of progress invoices, we recommend using this as your new standard template for all invoices.
- Go back to Custom Form Styles.
- Select the arrow in the Action column next to the template, and then select Make default.
If you only want to use this template for progress invoices, select Customise directly on the invoice form to change the template.
Add quote summaries to printed invoices
The steps above only add quote summaries to emailed invoices. To add them to printed invoices:
- Go to the Sales menu and select the All Sales tab.
- Find and open an invoice.
- Select Customise. Then select the template with the customisations you made in "Step 1: Turn on progress invoicing and create an invoice template.”
- Select Print or Preview to review the layout.
- When you’re ready, select Print.