QuickBooks Online uses a timeout feature for your security. This feature helps prevent unauthorised persons from accessing your data when you're away from the computer.
So, if you're working in QuickBooks Online and are inactive for a period of time, you will see a 'time out' security message. The default setting is 1 hour, but that can be changed to up to 3 hours.
Change the time out duration in QuickBooks Online
- Go to Settings ⚙️, then select Account and Settings.
- Select Advanced.
- Select Edit ✎ from the Other preferences section.
- Choose 1, 2, or 3 hours from the Sign me out if inactive for ▼ dropdown menu.
- Select Save then Done.
A few things to remember:
- QuickBooks Online measures your time of inactivity from the last time you moved, your mouse, clicked, or used your keyboard on any transaction form.
- If you are timed out, sign back into your company to continue where you left off.
- The timeout setting can only be changed by the Primary Admin and it applies to all company users.