In Quickbooks Online Plus and Essentials, you can track billable time by job by setting up jobs as sub-customers. Then you can track and invoice your billable time, and keep all your billable expenses organised.
In Quickbooks Online, you can track billable time by job by setting up jobs as sub-customers. Then you can track and invoice your billable time, and keep all your billable expenses organised.
Step 1: Add a sub-customer
To track your billable time by job, you can enter the job as a sub-customer of the customer you’re doing the work for.
- Go to Sales, then Customers (Take me there).
- Select New customer.
- Enter all the appropriate info for the sub-customer.
- Select the Is sub-customer check box.
- From the Enter parent customer dropdown ▼, select the parent customer.
- Choose Bill with parent.
- Select Save.
Step 2: Turn on billable time
If you want to bill your customer directly from tracked time, you’ll need to turn on the billable time setting. Here’s how:
- Select Settings ⚙, then Account and settings.
- Select the Time tab.
- In the Timesheet section, select Edit ✎.
- Turn on the Allow time to be billable setting.
- If you want your users to see their billable rate when they enter their time, select the Show billing rate to users entering time checkbox. You may want to leave this unchecked if you bill customers at a different hourly rate than you pay your employees and subcontractors.
- Select Save, then select Done.
Step 3: Record billable time
You can enter billable time in either of the two ways:
Step 4: Add billable time to invoice
Once you’ve entered billable timesheets, you’ll see them available to add to new invoices. Find out more about how to invoice your customers for billable expenses and timesheets.