QuickBooks now has the added capability to assign discount per line item in sales forms (i.e. invoices, sales receipts and credit notes). This is in addition to transaction level discount that was already available.
Discount by line item is available only in forms of the type Invoice, Sales Receipt, Estimate and Credit Note.
Here's a demonstration that'll help you enable line level or item-wise discount from an invoice.
To enable line level or item-wise discount, do the following.
- Click the gear icon and select Company Settings.
- In the left panel, select Sales.
- Next, click the section named Sales form content.
- Enable or tick the option named Item-wise discount.
- Click Save and then Done.
You may also perform the same action from an invoice.
- Select the + New button.
- Select Invoice.
- Click the gear icon on the top right of the invoice.
- In the drawer that slides out from the right, enable or tick the option named Item-wise discount.
To use line level or item-wise discount on an invoice, sales receipt, estimate or credit note, do the following.
- Open the sales form, i.e. invoice, sales receipt, estimate or credit note.
- In the Product/Service column, select an item that you would like to bill your customer for.
- In the Discount column, enter a discount percentage or a discount value.
- If 25% is entered in the Discount column, QuickBooks will compute the discount to be 25% of the value displayed in the Amount column. For example, if the Amount column displays 200 and Discount displays 25%, the Total discount from this line item will be 200*25% = 50.
- If 25 is entered in the Discount column, QuickBooks will take it to be the total amount of discount. In this case Total discount from this line item will be shown as 25.
I do not see the Discount column in my printed invoice, sales receipt, estimate or credit note.
- Please click the gear icon and select Custom Form Styles.
- Against the style named Standard, click Edit in the Action column.
- Click the Content tab.
- In the preview on the right, click the section in the middle.
- The Columns list will be displayed to your left.
- Ensure that the field named Discount is checked.
- Click Done.
Where will this discount be tracked?
Discount given on sales will be tracked in the account named Discounts given. This account also tracks transaction level discount.
I do not see an item wise discount column in my Sales by Product/Service Detail report.
Currently, discount given will be listed as a separate row item in the report. You will be able to identify it by the transaction number (i.e. the invoice number or sales receipt number). The Memo/Description for this row will read Discount.
Liked this article? Click Yes below.
Don't forget to leave us any questions about item-wise discount that this article didn't answer.