Learn how to manually add service fees to invoices in QuickBooks Online.
You can charge customers a service fee for services related to the product or service they're buying. Add a service fee to new and existing invoices to charge your customers accordingly.
Note: It's a good idea to inform customers about surcharges and service fees when you send them their invoice. You may want to include this in the default email message you send along with invoices.
Step 1: Create a service fee item
Create the fee as a service item so you can add a fee with a detailed description to invoices.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Products & services (Take me there).
- Select New, then select Service.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the service.
- (Optional) From the Category ▼ dropdown, select the category that best describes the fee. Find out more about item categories.
- (Optional) Fill out the rest of the fields.
- Select Save and close.
Tip: If you don't charge a standard fee, don't worry. You can always change the fee amount on the invoice.
Step 2: Add a service fee to invoices
If you’ve already sent them their invoice, create an invoice with the service fee. If you haven’t sent the invoice, make sure to add it before sending it.
- Go to Sales and select Invoices (Take me there).
- Select the invoice you want to add a service fee to.
- Select Edit invoice.
- From the Product/service ▼ dropdown, select the service fee you created.
- (Optional) In the Amount field, enter the amount of the service fee.
- (Optional) In the Message on invoice section, add a note about the fee.
- Select Save and send or Save and close.