Learn how to link a bank deposit to an invoice in QuickBooks Online.
When you receive bank deposits from your customer, you need to link them to an invoice. This keeps your records accurate and helps avoid errors when it's time to reconcile your accounts.
Before you link a deposit to an invoice, here's a few things to check:
- Make sure there's an invoice for the customer.
- Make sure you record the payment through bank deposit and not through Receive Payment.
- Make sure you haven’t entered and linked the payment to the invoice.
Find and edit the deposit
You can find the deposit entry in your bank register.
- Go to Settings ⚙, and select Chart of accounts (Take me there).
- Find the account you deposited the payment to and select Account history.
- Find and select the correct deposit. Then select Edit.
- In the Add funds to this deposit section, find the deposit.
- Select the Received From ▼ dropdown, and select the customer the deposit was from.
- Select the Account ▼ dropdown. Then select Accounts Receivable.
- Select Save and Close.
Apply the deposit entry as an invoice payment
Once you update the deposit, apply it as a credit to the invoice.
- Select + New.
- Select Receive payment.
- From the Customer ▼ dropdown, select the customer’s name. This displays all unpaid and outstanding credits for your customer.
- In the Payment date field, enter the day you received the payment.
- In the Outstanding Transactions section, select the invoice you need to mark as paid.
- In the Credits section, select the deposit.
- Select Save and close.