Learn how to turn a customer overpayment or credit into a tip in QuickBooks Online.
When a customer overpays an invoice to give you a tip, you need to record the income. Here’s how.
Step 1: Add an income account to track tips
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Chart of accounts.
- Select New.
- For Account Type, select Other Revenue.
- For Detail Type, select Other Miscellaneous Revenue.
- Enter a Name, like "Tip Revenue" and select Save and Close.
Step 2: Create a tip item
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Products & services (Take me there).
- Select New, then Non-inventory.
- Enter a Name, like "Tips."
- For Income account, select the account you created in Step 1.
- Select Save and close.
Step 3: Record the extra money as a tip
- Go to Sales, then select Invoices (Take me there).
- Select Create invoice.
- Enter the Customer. In the Products/Services field, select the tip item you created in Step 2.
- Select Save. If your credits are set up to apply automatically, you're done. Otherwise, select Receive payment.
- Select the credit and then Save and close.
If your customer paid you too much in error, you should contact them and arrange for a refund.