Learn how to record a credit from a supplier in QuickBooks Online.
Just got credit for a business expense? If you got money back, you should enter a refund instead. If you got a credit to use on a future purchase, use this article.
How you enter the credit depends on how you record your purchases. Choose the section below that applies to you. If you’re not sure, ask your accountant.
Use these steps if you enter bills to track your expenses. This makes sure the credit hits the expense account you use for this supplier.
Create a supplier credit
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon and select Supplier Credit.
- In the Supplier drop-down menu, select your supplier.
- Depending on how you record purchases with this supplier, enter the Category details. Usually, this is the category, product, or service you’re getting a credit for.
- Select Save and close.
Apply supplier credits to a bill
You can apply a supplier credit toward any open or future bill. When you’re ready to use the credit, here’s how to do it.
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon and select Pay Bills.
- Select a bill for your supplier from the list. You'll see the available credit with this supplier in the Credit Applied field.
- Complete the rest of the fields like you normally do.