Learn how to delete your data in QuickBooks Online and start over with new books.
Sometimes you need to start fresh with a new QuickBooks Online company. If you're a new customer, you can simply start over. If you've used QuickBooks for a while, you need to create a new company.
Start over in QuickBooks Online
Note: You don't need to start from scratch. Save time by reusing the lists from your old company. Learn how to move your lists to a new company file.
Your next steps depend on how long you've been using QuickBooks.
Reset your account that is more than 90 days old
If your account has been active for more than 90 days, you can't delete the data. Instead, you have to cancel your account, then start a new subscription.
Cancel your account
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Account and Settings.
- If you don't see Account and Settings, select Your Account and then select Cancel Subscription from the Account Activities section. Then, skip to step 5.
- Select Billing and Subscription.
- Select Cancel .
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Start a new account
Sign up for a new account. You can use the same user ID and password that you did previously.
Reset your account within 90 days of signup
This is for QuickBooks Online Plus or Essentials users only. If you use QuickBooks Online Simple Start, you need to cancel your current account and start a new one.
Note: If you're using QuickBooks Online for Accountants, don't follow this process for your own firm’s books. It could cause irreversible damage.
|Warning: This process will delete all data in the company file. Once you delete, you can’t restore it.|
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online Company.
- Change the URL to include /purgecompany Example: Change https://sg.qbo.intuit.com/app/homepage to https://sg.qbo.intuit.com/app/purgecompany
- The next screen will provide a summary of the items to delete. Type YES to delete the data, then select OK.
Things to know
- If the industry you want to use is different than the one showing, feel free to change it.
- Mark whether you would like the system to create accounts based on your industry or start with an empty chart of accounts.
- Once your selections are complete, select Wipe Data. When the deletion is complete, you will be rerouted to your homepage.