Learn how to use the Write Off Invoices Tool. This feature is only available for accountant users.
Does your firm have invoices you can't collect? Instead of handling them manually, use the Write Off Invoices tool. QuickBooks automatically applies discounts to zero-out bad invoices and posts them to your write-off account. This balances both your Accounts Receivable and expense accounts.
Tip: Your clients can manually write off their bad invoices.
- Go to Accountant Tools and select Write off invoices.
- Set the Invoice Age, To Date, and Balance less than filters to find the invoice. Then, select Find invoices.
- Review the name in the Customer column.
- Select the checkboxes for the invoices you want to write off.
- Select Write off.
- In the Account ▼dropdown, select the account you use for bad debts.
- Select Apply.
Note: You don’t need to enter your closing date password if you’re writing off invoices dated before your closing date.