QuickBooks File Manager is a standalone app for QuickBooks Accountant and QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant. It stores company files, together with usernames and passwords, in a secure environment. The app allows you to import client's QuickBooks files and easily upgrade from one QuickBooks version to another.
You can access QuickBooks File Manager through an icon from your desktop or from the Accountant menu in QuickBooks Accountant Editions.
- The Password Vault of the QuickBooks File Manager can be used to manage the complex passwords that many files now require.
- If the same list of files and their login/password is needed on multiple computers, the File Manager backup can be used and restored on other computers.
What can you do in QuickBooks File Manager?
- Build a client list that creates a virtual view of your hard drive, groups clients’ QuickBooks files by type, and contains locations of clients’ company files.
- Save login information for your clients; QuickBooks files in the Password Vault lets you open a client's file from the client list and without looking up the login information.
- Upgrade multiple clients’ QuickBooks files to the latest version of QuickBooks in a batch.
- Create Groups of clients that you define.
How does it work?
- It organises client folders and companies in a user friendly directory that is based off the user’s original orientation.
- It groups all the company files for each client into their particular format (.QBW, .QBB, .QBA, and .QBM) for ease of organisation.
- It remembers the username and password for each file for easy opening of the file when selecting to open the file from File Manager.
Three ways to start QuickBooks File Manager
- On QuickBooks Accountant menu, select QuickBooks File Manager.
- On your Desktop, click the QuickBooks File Manager icon.
- From the Windows Start menu, go to Programs > QuickBooks > File Manager.
Note: Access the latest QuickBooks File Manager installed.
Two ways to import QuickBooks files
- On the QuickBooks File Manager, go to Clients drop down and choose Add Clients via, then select Update Client List Wizard.
- Import From client folder names, if you have already organised the company files and folders into a format to your liking.
- Import From QuickBooks file names, if you have not organised your files and folders and you want the File Manager to scan your computer and import the files. It will also name the files the same as how they are named on your PC or network.
- Drag and drop the files from Windows File Explorer into File Manager.
Open the company file from File Manager
- You can double click on the file, or go to Files drop down, then select Open in QuickBooks.
Note: Two files can also be opened at once through the file manager (when using the accountant edition.)
- You may also convert/ restore files. Go to Files > Restore to QBW, or Convert to QBA.
Manage and Merge client folders
- You can view your grouped clients into preferred groups based off of your clients.
- QuickBooks File Manager automatically groups the files by year in the Groups drop down.
- You can manage your groups by going to Groups > Add/Edit groups, or Delete Current group when a group is selected.
- You may also search clients by any specified term with the search option.
- You can merge client folders by selecting both folders, right-click then choose Merge selected clients.
Note: It groups all the files form all folders that were merged, resulting in no lost files.
- You may also manage the client folders and files from the Files drop down.
- When a client is selected from the client list, information will populate in the “Files” section to the right. After a file has been opened thru the File Manager, file information will populate in the “Information” tab that is to the right of the “Files tab”
- The Password vault saves your username and password for any company file you have.
- You can manage your saved passwords by going to Password Vault.
Note: This will request for a confirmation.
- You may also manage your Password Vault login info from Password Vault > Change Password Vault login.
To keep it secured, Password Vault requires the user to create a user name and password before adding client files to it.
Batch Upgrade (Does not apply to UK)
- Batch upgrade greatly reduces the time of upgrading company files by upgrading all selected files at once.
- You can batch upgrade files by going to Batch Upgrade > Clients > Upgrade selected files.
Note: You’ll be able to view all unsuccessful upgrades within this window by selecting List unsuccessful Upgrades.
File Manager backup
File manager has an available backup system that saves your settings and directories so in case you experience data loss, it can be restored to the most recent backup just as you left it.