Find out how to use tags and group tags to get deeper insights into your sales and expenses.
Tags are customisable labels that let you track transactions however you'd like. You can tag invoices, expenses, and bills. Group tags together and run reports to see how specific areas of your business are doing. They don't impact your books. Instead, they're a way for your team to track the info that matters most to you.
Note: Tagging transactions is currently a new feature, so if you don't see Tags yet, don't worry. We're adding this feature to new companies all the time and working to turn on tags for everyone soon.
Step 1: Create tag groups
Start by creating groups to put tags into:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Tags.
- Select the New ▼ dropdown and then Tag group.
- Give the group a name.
- Select a colour from the ▼ dropdown.
- When you're done, select Save.
Let's say you run an event company. You may want to see how much you earned and spent on events this year. Create a group called "events." Then create tags for specific events and add them to your events group.
Step 2: Create new tags and tag transactions
You can create tags while you're working on a form, like an invoice or expense:
- In the Tags field, enter the name of the tag you want to create. Then select + Add.
- Select one of your groups to add the tag to it.
This creates the tag and tags the form. To add existing tags to forms, simply enter the name in the Tag field and select it.
Note: You can add as many tags as you'd like, but you can only choose one tag per tag group.
Step 3: Get insights from tags
Run reports for tag groups to see how tagged transactions are performing:
- Go to the Banking menu or Transactions menu and select the Tags tab.
- Find a group on the list.
- Select the Action ▼ dropdown and then Run report.
Since groups have both money in and money out transactions, you'll see how everything in the group affects your bottom line.
Next steps: Edit tags and tag groups
- Go to Settings ⚙️ and select Tags.
- Find the tag or tag group you want to edit.
- Select the Action ▼ dropdown. Then select Edit tag or Edit group.