Fix damaged items in your file if, after verifying data, the QBWin.log shows the following error:
LVL_Error--Error: Verify Item: Invalid Tax Agency
The Verify Utility may detect this problem if:
- Your Item List has damaged items and invalid information has been entered in the Tax Agency field for one or more non-sales tax items.
- The damaged items show non-supplier names, such as customer names, in the Preferred Supplier field.
Edit each of the damaged items listed in the QBWin.log file to remove the invalid information. The Tax Agency field is reserved for sales tax items and is not visible for other types of items. However, changing the item in any way and then saving it removes the invalid Tax Agency information from the item.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances should you export, edit and re-import your Item List to try to fix this issue.
Step 1: Identify the damaged item using the QBWin.log.
- While QuickBooks is open, press F2 to open the Product Information window.
- Press F3 to open the Tech Help window and then go to the Open File tab.
- Under the Open File tab, look for QBWin.log then click Open.
- Once QBWin.log is open, press CTRL + F to bring up the Find window and search for the error.
- Note the damaged item name on the line that follows the error.
Step 2: Edit the damaged items.
- Back in QuickBooks, go to the List menu and choose Item List.
- Locate the damaged items shown in the QBWin.log, and double-click to edit.
- Check the Preferred Supplier field:
- If the Preferred Supplier field is correct, or if there is no Preferred Supplier field in the item, add or remove a character from the item name or description to change the item, and then click OK.
- If the Preferred Supplier field is incorrect, remove the name or assign the correct name, and then click OK.
- (Optional) Double-click the item again to edit it and reverse any changes you made to the name or description field, and then click OK.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 for each item in the QBWin.log that contains the LVL_Error--Error: Verify Item: Invalid Tax Agency error.
- If these steps do not work, you can try merging the item into a new item.