Find out how to get payroll running after you switch from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.
You can use the payroll reports in QuickBooks Desktop to set up your payroll in QuickBooks Online. This may take a while depending on your number of employees.
Step 1. Print or save your payroll reports in QuickBooks Desktop
- In QuickBooks Desktop, select the Reports menu and then Employees & Payroll.
- Open these reports one at a time. Print them or save them as a PDF for your records.
- Payroll Summary
- Payroll Liabilities (P32)
- Employee Contact List
- Select the Employees menu and then Payroll Forms.
- Select the P11 Working sheet. Print or save this for your records.
Step 2. Sign up for payroll in QuickBooks Online
- In QuickBooks Online, go to the Employees page.
- Select Choose my plan.
- Choose the plan that works best for you.
- Follow the steps on the screen to set up payroll in QuickBooks Online. Enter any info that your employees are missing and their year-to-date payroll amounts. You can get those from the reports you ran in QuickBooks Desktop.
Once you set up your employees, enter year-to-date payroll amounts and payroll taxes, you're ready to run payroll in QuickBooks Online.