Learn more about your QuickBooks Online dashboard.
Welcome to QuickBooks Online! When you first sign in to your QuickBooks Online account, you'll be directed to the homepage dashboard. Your dashboard displays an overview of your company, giving you a quick business update (like the status of your income and expenses, your bank accounts, and more).
|Note: If you're a new user, this content will be empty. But once you enter transactions, the dashboard updates, displaying a real-time overview of your company finances.|
Get to know your Home Dashboard
From the dashboard, you can use + New to do everyday tasks. If you don't see what you’re looking for on the menu, select Show to view more options.
Some of the basic tasks you can perform when you select + New are:
- Creating Invoices
- Adding Expenses
- Journal entry
|Note: The dashboard view may vary from one user at a company to another. QuickBooks Online determines what information it displays by each user’s access rights.|
There are two ways to start your QuickBooks setup:
Option 1: Go through the list of company settings and set them at once
- Go to Settings ⚙ and choose Account and Settings.
- Navigate using the sections on the left menu and edit as necessary.
Option 2: Configure settings as you work
When it's your first time creating a report, a setup interview window will open for you. Each setup interview has simple, straightforward questions about what you’re looking to do and how you’re planning to use the function you're using at that time.
When you answer these questions, you automatically configure your settings. You can answer some or all of the interview questions right away, or you can select Cancel. If you cancel, the next time you sign in to QuickBooks and create a report, the setup interview opens at the point where you left off.
If you want to change a setting, you can always go back to Settings ⚙ and choose Account and Settings.
You can generate a list of transactions that match a variety of search criteria you enter, such as date range, amount, and type of transaction.
- Select the Magnifying glass icon.
- In the Search field, enter a transaction number, a date, or an amount then select the smaller magnifying glass icon or press Enter.
- If you don't find what you need, choose Advanced search.
- Use one or more filters to select the type of data you want to find (See the filter selection example below for more details).
- To customise the results list, select Settings ⚙ above the table of search results, then select the column(s) you want to display.
- To print the list or export it to an Excel spreadsheet, select the Print icon or the Export to Excel icon (next to the print icon), respectively.
Filter Selection Example
If you want to find all transactions in the past 30 days in an amount equaling $100 you would do the following:
- Change Reference no. to Last Modified Date.
- Change Today to Past 30 Days.
- Select Search and you'll find a list of transactions.
- To narrow the list, change Date to Amount and enter 100 in the box, then select Add Filter.
Users include the Master Administrator and any other users the administrator has added. These users count toward your current user limit.
You must be a Master Administrator or a Company Administrator to add, delete, or change a user's access. To manage users, select Settings ⚙, then Manage Users.
QuickBooks Online allows you to change your own name, address, phone number, email address, and user ID. If you have the appropriate access, you can change another user's name, email address, and access rights.
To change your own contact and sign-in information:
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Account and Settings.
- Go to the Company section, then select Edit ✏️ under Contact info.
- Edit the information as necessary.
- Select Done.
To change contact and sign-in information for another user:
- Select Settings ⚙️, then Manage Users.
- Select the user that you want to change then Edit.
- Update the information as necessary.
- Select Save and close.
|Note: You must have the appropriate permissions to change another user’s information.|