To find your most current backup, perform a wild card search to view the date, timestamp, or size to determine which is the most current.
Note: Be sure to include the asterisk (*) before the extension type to ensure the search works correctly.
Perform a Windows search from the Start menu.In the Search programs and files dialogue box, search for *.qbb for QuickBooks or *.001 for Sage or .vtr for VT Transactions.You may also search for *.qb for QuickBooks or *.00 for Sage to find both backups and working company data files. QuickBooks working company file type is .qbw and Sage is .000. VT doesn’t distinguish between backups and working company files.
- When the search completes, make note of the location in the In Folder column, the Size, and Date Modified column. Disregard any sample files.
- The Date Modified column will tell you the last date the file was touched. However, if you just tried to sign in to an older file with a password, this file will have a current date.
- With QuickBooks, Sage, or VT desktop closed, double-click on the File Name or Icon of the file that has the most recent timestamp and is the largest size.
- To ensure that you have the correct file. For example, in QuickBooks, run a Custom Transaction Detail report for all dates to view the last transaction entered into QuickBooks Desktop. (Reports > Custom Reports > Transaction Detail). Sage has a similar transaction list as does VT.
- If the file you opened is not the file you're looking for, close and repeat step 5.
Note: The default location for a QuickBooks Desktop company files is: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files, For Sage it is C:\ProgramData\Sage\Accounts\, from either of these locations you should be able to choose the version/year of the application your file is using. For VT the default recommended location is C:\Program Files\VT Transaction but VT will also use Libraries\Documents as a starting point.